My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding proficiency in Texas.

JJones

I have a short and sweet question for my Texas brethren:

I have a brother at my lodge who has gone over his 90 days to turn in his Master's proficiency. Can anyone tell me what the Grand Lodge law is regarding this?

Thank you!

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 439. (476). Examination in Master’s Degree.
1. Within ninety days after he is raised, a Brother shall have heard the fourth portion of The Lodge System of Candidate Information, shall have received all four booklets which comprise the System, be certified as having completed a Grand Lodge approved course on Masonic Information (Additional Lodge Light, A.L.L. program) under the supervision of the Committee on Masonic Education and Service, and shall have been examined in open Lodge and voted as proficient in the entire trial lecture of the Master’s Degree. (Revised 1996) It shall be the duty of the officers of the Lodge to see that this is done.

Any Brother who, after receiving the Master’s Degree, willfully neglects or refuses to present himself and be examined as to his proficiency in such degree, within ninety days thereafter, unless further time is granted him by the Lodge shall be subject to automatic suspension as provided hereinafter; absence from the State, natural infirmities or unavoidable accident alone excusing him.

2. In each case in which a Brother, except during the time (if any) he is excused from doing so under the last clause of the next preceding section of this Article, fails to meet the requirements set out in the preceding section of this Article, the Master of the Lodge must notify such Brother by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, that he will stand automatically suspended if the examination is not taken and passed within ninety (90) days from
receipt of such letter unless the time is further extended, only for good cause, by the Lodge, and if the Brother fails to do so he shall then stand automatically suspended and such suspension shall be recorded in the Minutes of the next subsequent Stated Meeting of the Lodge. Any Brother so suspended, however, may receive instruction and be examined in open Lodge and if and when he passes the examination required by this Article he may be reinstated by following the procedure provided for reinstatement of those automatically suspended for non-payment of dues.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Votes to extend are common in my experience. As long as a Brother is doing his work lodges are generally happy to extend. Thanks Bro Bill for describing the paperwork process the Secretary goes through.