My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question regarding the office of the Deacon in the Lodge

MasonicAdept

Premium Member
In the course of doing research on the Mark degree, I was led to the records of the operative Lodges of Scotland. I found something most intriguing.

The Deacon which was a position created by Act of Parliment in 1424, were a group of Masters or overseers of the work of each Craft in each town throughout the realm:

Of deans of crafts

Also it is ordained that in each town of the realm there be chosen, of each sundry craft used therein, a wise man of that craft by the rest of that craft and the counsel of the officers of the town, who shall be held deacon or master over the rest for the time assigned to him, to assay and govern all works that are made by the workmen of his craft, so that the king's lieges are not defrauded in the future as they have been in the past by untrue men of crafts.

The above is the Act issued by Parliment that put the Deacon in power. His function was to Assess and Govern the work, and to protect the citizens from fraud by immoral craftsmen.

They were over the Fellows of the Craft (who were Master Masons then).

Then with the transition to Speculative Freemasonry, we find the Deacons as subordinate officers of the Master of the Lodge (of whom then was a WARDEN), and the Senior Warden.

I would like to get some insight on this change during the transition.