My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions to all Lodges and members.

Seniorwardeninthewest

I have a question, it is about attendance for lodge principal officers, do you have those who simply don't want a chair, or has to have a chair and never shows up ?
Several of us have been kicking around and idea, that Several other Lodges are willing to look at.
Offer a % off their yearly dues every time they show up to preform the duties of that chair and the lodge will pick up the balance. Think of it as paying the craft their wadges,, but earning their wages. I am open for the pros and cons, the up and down and everything in between.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
What an abysmal state we’ve sunk to.

Really, if that is the quality of member you’ve taken in and made an officer, close up.

And perhaps review in your ritual what our wages are.

MarkR

Premium Member
I would vote against such a proposal in my lodge. Being elected or appointed to a line office is an honor, and no one who needs to be bribed should receive the honor. Don't accept the position if you aren't willing to perform the duties. Hell, back in the early days of Freemasonry, the opposite was the case; you'd get fined for not attending meetings (not just officers, all members) if you hadn't given notice of a sufficient reason, and that notice given before the meeting.

I'm honestly surprised that such an idea is being considered.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
I'd have to agree with the previous comments.

Personally I'd say that if a Lodge cannot fill the Officers' posts it has come to the end of the line and the remaining members should be winding it up and looking for a new Lodge to join preferably en masse.

Winter

Premium Member
Write an attendance requirement in your bylaws. In my Lodge attendance is required. If you cannot attend a Stated meeting, you must give your regrets to the Sec or WM. Habitual non participation without cause is a reason to be removed from the Lodge. But I don't think this has ever even been considered as participation is always very high.

It sounds to me like you are going down the exact same wrong road most GLs have over the previous decades. You have poor attendance so you are brainstorming an incentive to get them to come to the Lodge and make it easier for them to be a Mason (lower dues). You are treating the symptoms instead of the sickness. Take an honest look at your Lodge and ask yourself what you are doing that would make your members want to attend. I'm guessing lackluster ritual with chairs not filled. Paying some bills. Maybe some cold cuts after? Have you even read Laudable Pursuit?

Bloke

Premium Member
I am bias and approach this from a certain position as a Secretary. It is common here for Lodge Secretaries not to pay dues if the a Lodge has passed a motion the Sec does not pay dues. That motion is common. However I pay my dues for 2 reasons:
  1. My dues support the lodge, and everyone lifting the weight makes it lighter.
  2. I do not want to chase men for not paying lodge dues until I have paid mine.
The idea of financially incentivize an officer to do their job rather than creating a culture of service and contribution seems the wrong way to develop Freemasons.

The ONLY thing extra I would add, is that also seems very rude to invite a visitor to do a job for your lodge and then charge them a dinner cost for doing so (most lodges here have a user pay system for dining). That's the only financial concession we offer to men particiapating in degree work, and it is only offered to visitors: we will buy them dinner for supporting us. Many refuse and pay.

Matt L

Site Benefactor
I have found over the years that some lodges do a disservice to their members, by not explaining the duties of the Officers, and what is expected. I was lucky enough to be raised in a lodge that made sure those that accepted a chair, knew their duties and expectations.

Incoming WM's need to plan their year well in advance and meet with the his potential elected and appointed officers to remind them what is expected and what their duties are. If they can't meet those expectations ask them to reconsider. Their lack of participation makes planning and work difficult on everyone else, more especially the secretary.

I believe that just because a Brother occupied a chair, it doesn't make moving up a given. Members should make lodge meetings, unless they are working, have a family engagement, emergency, inclement weather or are ill, not because its Monday or Thursday night football.

I love being a member of invitation only appendant bodies. If I had to put a number on it, participation is well over 95%.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

The ONLY thing extra I would add, is that also seems very rude to invite a visitor to do a job for your lodge and then charge them a dinner cost for doing so (most lodges here have a user pay system for dining). ..
Oh, with that I agree. They are not performing a duty as a member of the Lodge.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

I love being a member of invitation only appendant bodies. If I had to put a number on it, participation is well over 95%.
It is terrific your experience is such participation. Regrettably, that is not the experience in many areas with the invitational orders. Even those with attendance requirements (AMD and RCC) will have issues with officers performing their duties.

Bloke

Premium Member
I have found over the years that some lodges do a disservice to their members, by not explaining the duties of the Officers, and what is expected. I was lucky enough to be raised in a lodge that made sure those that accepted a chair, knew their duties and expectations.
Agree @Matt L . We could blame the officers.. or the leaders of the lodge could take some responsibility for the culture which developed where the OP is talking about financially incentivizing officers to attend. That culture needs to change. The conversation you speak of is standard in any good lodge.

But I would also say @Seniorwardeninthewest - I do applaud you and encourage you for thinking about how to improve your lodge. AND acknowledge my Mother Lodge does use Free Dinners to attracts visitors helping with charges AND we also only charge 50% lodge dues for members living 75 kms or more from the lodge dues to support them meeting the cost of attending (we are a metro lodge, and the discount needs to be asked for and is not given automatically).

The best way to try to get members to attend, is given them a good night by
  • A good friendly, fraternal, harmonious and fun atmosphere
  • Trying to do decent work
  • Decent qualify food and drinks.
I always say friendship is the engine of a lodge and morale the petrol in that engine.

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
I read some interesting comments. I have seen clauses that state if a officer is absent x amount of times he can be removed from the position. I have no issues with offering monetary relief to the Secretary and Treasurer as you don't want constant turnover in those seats. But the Brother has the right and option to not accept the offer for whatever reason he decides.

Being voted into the progressive line is an honor bestowed by the lodge members on a person. My opinion has always been if you don't have the time or interest, decline the nomination.

Now I come to my final point. Old and new MasterMason's should go bacck and read the final two paragrapghs of the Third Degree Charge. Sadly, as we rush people through, we never get around to reading it to them. If we did, maybe the attitude of the Bretheren would improve. I quote it below as a reminder.

"Your manhood does not depend upon your position, but upon your character. The establishment as well as the acknowledgment of true manhood is in your own hands. Too many think that reputation ensures it; do not wait for that. Seek the true definition of a man and then exemplify it. Do not have two characters, one for your fellows and another for privacy. Be a true man in your own home as well as out in life. Scorn to debase yourself because the door of publicity is locked. Let even your own solitude keep company with the gentleman within it. Speak the same language to men that you do to your mother. Look upon women as you would have men look upon your sisters. Resent the unclean speech as a challenge against your claim to good breeding. Demand respectful treatment from your neighbor, but first command your own self-respect. Let nothing be more intolerable in your sight than the letting down of yourself to a lower level. Bid men come up to you, but refuse to descend a single step to them.

Do not measure your importance by your titles or your money, but by the texture of your character and the cleanliness of your speech. Make others know always that a gentleman stands before them. The teaching of this degree, then, is that it is your duty to make the most and the best of yourself. It is your duty as a man among men, as a son. or husband, or father; as a citizen of this great Republic; as a duly obligated Master Mason; as the most glorious climax of all created things; for the true man is the human image of the Mason's God."

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I read some interesting comments. I have seen clauses that state if a officer is absent x amount of times he can be removed from the position. I have no issues with offering monetary relief to the Secretary and Treasurer as you don't want constant turnover in those seats. But the Brother has the right and option to not accept the offer for whatever reason he decides.

Being voted into the progressive line is an honor bestowed by the lodge members on a person. My opinion has always been if you don't have the time or interest, decline the nomination.

Now I come to my final point. Old and new MasterMason's should go bacck and read the final two paragrapghs of the Third Degree Charge. Sadly, as we rush people through, we never get around to reading it to them. If we did, maybe the attitude of the Bretheren would improve. I quote it below as a reminder.

"Your manhood does not depend upon your position, but upon your character. The establishment as well as the acknowledgment of true manhood is in your own hands. Too many think that reputation ensures it; do not wait for that. Seek the true definition of a man and then exemplify it. Do not have two characters, one for your fellows and another for privacy. Be a true man in your own home as well as out in life. Scorn to debase yourself because the door of publicity is locked. Let even your own solitude keep company with the gentleman within it. Speak the same language to men that you do to your mother. Look upon women as you would have men look upon your sisters. Resent the unclean speech as a challenge against your claim to good breeding. Demand respectful treatment from your neighbor, but first command your own self-respect. Let nothing be more intolerable in your sight than the letting down of yourself to a lower level. Bid men come up to you, but refuse to descend a single step to them.

Do not measure your importance by your titles or your money, but by the texture of your character and the cleanliness of your speech. Make others know always that a gentleman stands before them. The teaching of this degree, then, is that it is your duty to make the most and the best of yourself. It is your duty as a man among men, as a son. or husband, or father; as a citizen of this great Republic; as a duly obligated Master Mason; as the most glorious climax of all created things; for the true man is the human image of the Mason's God."
In which ritual do you find this charge?

protectingthewestgate

Thank you for all your comments to this question, for those who have answered just close down, in 10 years your lodge will be closed as well. Here in Illinois, this year alone 30 lodges have closed their doors, several of those lodges have consolidated with other lodges, and they are no more. The ship freemasonry is sinking brothers,, it time to act, or let her sink.

MarkR

Premium Member

That's not even similar to the Charge to a Master Mason in Minnesota. There's nothing wrong with it, but I've never seen it before.

Winter

Premium Member
Thank you for all your comments to this question, for those who have answered just close down, in 10 years your lodge will be closed as well. Here in Illinois, this year alone 30 lodges have closed their doors, several of those lodges have consolidated with other lodges, and they are no more. The ship freemasonry is sinking brothers,, it time to act, or let her sink.
Both of my Lodges are healthy and thriving. I assure you that, barring some major calamity unrelated to Masonry, they will still be open and healthy and working 10 years from now. Your doom and gloom view is from your own perspective of Lodges that are having difficulties and you naturally assume that it must be the same everywhere. I assure you, it is not and Masonry is doing as well as ever in many places. The "ship freemasonry" is not a single vessel and while some vessels are foundering, many. many more are riding the swells and valleys of any storm with no worry that they will stay afloat.

If you want to make a change, you need to look at what those healthy jurisdictions are doing that is working and how they differ from your own and either ask your leadership how you can implement them or become the leadership and do it yourself. If Laudable Pursuit that I linked above wasn't helpful as a place to begin then try the Masonic Restoration Foundation. https://www.masonicrestorationfoundation.org/

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
If we must bribe it’s members to attend, appealing to the mercenary motives they vowed to eschew, what you believe to be freemasonry has already sunk, and only it’s rotting timbers are visible at low water mark, where the tide regularly flows, twice in 24 hours.

Let us bring in the salvagers and the dredge, and clear away this danger to navigation, so that true freemasonry may find its way to our shores once more.