RECOGNITION

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by JB93, May 11, 2016.

1. JB93

JB93 Registered User

PhaglofGA is not recognized by the ugle, so do recognized princehalls recognize them?? Explain this to me someone please and sorry if it seems like im asking to much, I just want to gather much information as i can! I hate repeating mistakes

2. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

As I understand it, all PHA masons in good standing with there respective PHA Grand Lodge are recognized by other PHA Grand Lodges.

Not all PHA members are recognized by Mainstream (aka "State") Grand Lodges, yet.

3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

http://www.conferenceofgrandmasterspha.org/gjlinks.asp

See there for regular status and mutual recognition within the PHA branch of our family of Brothers. All over the US though some jurisdictions cover more than one state. Also jurisdictions in Canada and other countries.

http://bessel.org/masrec/phamap.htm

See there for recognition between the two branches of our family of Brothers in the US. It should be possible to draw a similar map for Canada.

http://www.ugle.org.uk/about/foreign-grand-lodges

See the North America tab for the UGLE view of us. There usual policy is to recognize once the two jurisdictions in a state have mutual recognition and the PHA jurisdiction asks. It is not clear why PHA Oklahoma has not yet asked - They aggressively charter military lodges overseas so maybe it's about the paperwork on that topic.

http://www.mwphglga.org/

PHA GA seems down today. They are your regular PHA jurisdiction.

Glad to see you decided to transition from step-Brother to full Brother.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  4. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Question : When asked if you are a freemason, do you brothers feel the need to specific if you are a PHA or GL mason. And if so, do you explain the difference ?

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

5. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

The only thing I might refer to is that my GL is recognized by UGLE as a point of reference to my GL's "regularity". For me, I'm only primarily interested in Regularity, the tradition, whether PH or otherwise is only relevant as a point of discussion and learning :)

6. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I do not. That's a detail to be discussed when showing each other dues cards just before entering a tiled meeting. Other than that there is rarely call for making the distinction.

Before the days of the Daytona 500 and the Indianapolis 500 the word race in the US meant something strange. It's a relic of those days. Now we have a pair of traditions older than the country and that's as cool as history gets.

Bloke likes this.
  7. Travelling Man91

When approached by a man that wants to be a mason in a state where both Grand Lodges not in Amity, how do you refer him ?

Sent from my 831C using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

8. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

If I think he's a worthy candidate, I'm going to do my best to get him to petition MY Lodge!

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

All 3 of my jurisdictions have local recognition so he's asking about a location where I'm not a member. So far the only places I've encountered queries of that sort have been here on this board and back in the old UseNet days on news:alt.freemasonry

I post links to the lodge locator function of both of his local regular GLs and suggest he go to more than one nearby lodge and get to know the Brothers then petition one. Recently for provinces in Canada as well. It's only in the last year that I noticed that PHA recognition is starting to happen there.

10. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

And they talk trash on us Southerners! :rolleyes:

11. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

If approached and asked if I am a freemason, I just say I am and keep it moving, if approached by a Master Mason we just carry on a general conversation..and to be noticed to asked that question that mean i'm lit up with my cap or ring...

12. Travelling Man91

What does lit up mean ?

13. lilhut3579

lilhut3579 Registered User

Lit up means wearing regalia. Like a hat or jacket. Sometimes you'll hear or read a PHA brother say "wearing light" or something to that nature. That's all we're talking about.

14. Travelling Man91

Why do you call it that, is it not just wearing Masonic emblems ?

15. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

What's that theory about groups that develop shared and specialized language and terms creating a sense of belonging and cohesiveness? True of all lodges....

17. lilhut3579

lilhut3579 Registered User

That's pretty much it, what JD said. The emblems are knowledge and knowledge is light. So wearing an emblem = wearing light or being lit up. Also, what bloke said is true as well. Some PHA brothers refer to each other as square.

18. acjohnson53

Being a Prince Hall Mason don't have anything to do with it. I just have a little swag with it. Not to say I spread the word like that cause I'm always got my nose in them books to keep myself stead fast.

19. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member Site Benefactor

"Regalia" generally refers to aprons and jewels, whereas the stuff we wear on the street would more correctly be described as "paraphernalia."

lilhut3579, Bill Lins, Bloke and 2 others like this.
  20. acjohnson53

So presume y'all don't know who the "Junk Man " is???

Share My Freemasonry