My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refugee crisis

CLewey44

Tough question...political, do I 'go there'? I think as fmasonlog stated, it's something that has to be done carefully, if at all. No other country, overall, has had success with this in recent times. England, Germany, France and Turkey for example. I think it's the right thing to do but not at the risk of our own country maybe. I'm just curious why the more local countries aren't stepping up and taking care of this. Giving a person a free plane ticket over here and then something terrible happens is a big risk. The west is viewed as the enemy for a lot people over there. Women and children (boys under 14 or so) should be able to come for sure. But I don't know about outside of that. My 2 cents...I'm sure someone will gladly argue against me here. But national security is more important than 'doing the right thing' in this case.

Pdwmcdonald

I believe that refugees or any type of immigrant should receive proper security screening regardless of their nationalities, religious beliefs or political circumstances. I also believe that refugees should be welcomed with open arms. Nobody in Canada or America is not decended from an immigrant or refugee unless your First Nations (Canada) or Native American.

dfreybur

Premium Member
History matters. In the era before WWI vast numbers of immigrants arrived in the US, including 7 of my 8 great grand parents. Because that many immigrants were hard to assimilate the US slammed closed the doors of immigration. Just in time to reject boats filled with Jews trying to escape the concentration camps. Very many families were sent back to Europe where they died in the camps. Guilt over this history is why Germany is taking more than they can readily assimilate. It's also why the US should take a lot of refuges.

CLewey44

UGGGHHH, such a tough subject.... What do we do? I would ask, were the immigrants 100 years ago from countries that harbored 100s or even 1000s of terrorists bent on destroying the West? IDK that Syria is or not but is rumored to. Were they coming on their own dime then or was the U.S. flying them in? Were we actively dropping bombs on the majority of them in their countries at the time causing them to dislike us? Were we fighting governments then or an ideology? It's similar, but different. Let me be clear, I think women and children, yes. I think the more local countries should be dealing with this, yes. Will these people assimilate into our society or will they try to change it as it's going on in Europe in some places? I don't know. If we let in 20, 000 refugees, how many will be bad? 1, 5, 10, 100? We don't know. I think this is where the government has to say to the other govts, you have to step up here. Their only argument may be, 'well, you (U.S./NATO) started all of this, now you need to finish'. Not sure that's the case either but that is what some people are saying.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Taking in refugees in need is okay... however they should be thoroughly checked as terrorists can slide through. Just look at what's happened in Germany
emoji629.png
it's something that has to be done carefully, if at all. No other country, overall, has had success with this in recent times. England, Germany, France and Turkey for example.
Agreed!

Bill Wildman

Hello Brothers... wondering about something, and have not been able to find out any info as of yet about this: are there any Brother Masons among those caught up in the refugee crisis, and is their any way to connect with them in order to help them with their and their family's needs? This would be a worthy place to start with helping out. Any thoughts on how to move forward? I have members at church that would like to help, and we are trying to find out ways. Thanks and God bless! Bill

CLewey44

I know their are lodges in Turkey, which has refugees, but I'm not sure how they are handling the situation at hand.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Hello Brothers... wondering about something, and have not been able to find out any info as of yet about this: are there any Brother Masons among those caught up in the refugee crisis, and is their any way to connect with them in order to help them with their and their family's needs? This would be a worthy place to start with helping out. Any thoughts on how to move forward? I have members at church that would like to help, and we are trying to find out ways. Thanks and God bless! Bill
Probably not as the refugees are coming from countries that have outlawed Freemasonry.

jermy Bell

I think this is a subject better not discussed here brothers, because there are brothers and visitors here from all over the world, even though we may not mean to offend someone on this delicate matter, someone may take it the wrong way. But just remember truth, brotherly love and relief.