Regarding PHA members

Discussion in 'Becoming a Prince Hall Freemason' started by AnthonyPomilia357, Apr 27, 2013.

1. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

Yes I do like to comment on stuff that's two years he might come back and ask the same question....

dfreybur likes this.
  2. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Can't argue with that logic. Sure can't.

3. BullDozer Harrell

BullDozer Harrell Registered User

There isn't 51 PHA jurisdictions.

Sent from my SM-N910P using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

dfreybur likes this.
  4. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

BullDozer Harrell likes this.
  5. TonyStarks357

TonyStarks357 Registered User

Crazy how I'm reading these questions and replies...I was raised, PHA in Texas in 1994. Walking the tyler's sword existed then, and even though I'm in Colorado, it exists now. It's funny how a lot of the "older" brothers say they've never heard of it; or your birth certificate.

6. acjohnson53

It's funny how walking the Tylers Sword is mentioned, that is the old school way to ward off cowans and eavesdroppers....

7. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Okay. You both have my curiosity as well as interest. These things, or challenges/trials... This is stuff that I have only heard about. I'm quite certain that I'd be embarrassed if I attempted. Or am I mis-reading again?

8. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

You either know how to walk a sword or you don't. It's a specific examination from what I read and have been told.

9. acjohnson53

Brother's get back into that ritual, it speaks on walking the Tylers Sword.....It's a tool to ward of cowans and evesdroppers.....

10. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Not in my rituals.

Blake Bowden and Ripcord22A like this.
  11. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

12. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Nor ours. I think it is strictly a PHA thing.

Bloke and Travelling Man91 like this.
  13. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

It's not a part of our jurisdiction, so I would not say it's a "PHA" thing specifically. My jurisdiction is the second oldest formerly African Lodge #459b Philadelphia,PA., I just mentioned it to one of my PM he says maybe it's a part of pha southern jurisdictions who practice it.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bloke, Bill Lins, Keith C and 3 others like this.
  14. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Interesting.

I'm curious to learn more.

15. bupton52

bupton52 Moderator Premium Member

I have heard of it, but have never seen it administered. It sounds to be something comparable to the Tyler's Oath.

16. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

I think no matter if it's GL of PA or MWPHGL of PA, everything is unique in Pennsylvania!

Bloke and tldubb like this.
  17. tldubb

tldubb Premium Member

True my Brother!

18. BullDozer Harrell

Bill, if i might address you sort of personal, can I remind you that there's no entity anymore like the National Grand Lodge of Colored Masons. The beast died in the same century it was given life (19th century).

Today there are only seperate & independent Prince Hall Grand Lodges in their respective jurisdictions and territories. I say jurisdictions rather than saying States because there's like 4 or 5 not mainland U.S.A.

But anyways, it's never polite to say that a custom or practice or whatever is "strictly a PHA thing". Surely you meant no harm. No harm and no foul, sir.

Just be mindful that there's no central PH authority. We're as independent of one another as State GLs are from each other.

Thanks

19. BullDozer Harrell

There's some interesting history about your jurisdiction. You're proud to be a member of what was known back in the early days as First Independent African Grand Lodge of PA. As you should be.

Absalom Jones is right in the history book with Prince Hall. Though they probably never met.

Events happened in your jurisdiction that spawned the formation of an organization that's still controversial in 2017. The National Grand Lodge, or Compact of Colored York Masons.

Are you familiar with this aspect of history in black Pennsylvanian Masonry?

20. MRichard

MRichard Mark A. Ri'chard Premium Member

Is this practice (walking the sword) actually in the ritual of any PHA jurisdiction?

Share My Freemasonry