My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RETENTION

Troy Henderson

Good day Brothers,

Our lodge has experienced some retention problems. What types of things does your lodge do to keep things fresh and keep from stagnating. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Fraternally,

skas

Premium Member
This is tough to answer, but maybe not for the reason you think. Why are your members leaving? The lodge isn't providing them something they're looking for, but what is that? Are these brothers leaving the Craft entirely, or going to another lodge? What does that lodge have/do that yours doesn't? If they're leaving the Craft altogether, why? Are they seeking education that we (and you) aren't providing for them?

I think a ton of answers can be provided online, but these men came to your lodge looking for something and didn't find it. You need to determine what the it is.

Bloke

Premium Member
Questions about why the leave are good....

Appointing a competent mentor based on a personality and social match often works. If the candidate loves football and barracks for the same team as the mentor, if both are into trains, beer, kids, dating, history, hunting , etc etc, look for things that will draw them together outside lodge then push the mentor to involve them in activities outside lodge.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Questions about why the leave are good....

Appointing a competent mentor based on a personality and social match...
This makes me think of the University Scheme where prospects are drawn to the Craft because an upper classman or professor they respect or admire is a member. Common ground made Level.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
There are a few things to look into. During the investigation did anyone ask why are they joining? If they did, did the person asking know if the lodge could provide that? If the lodge did and does provide that fantastic. Now onto the lodge. Are there "people" (we all know one) who rub people that way or strife of some kind? Did something change? It's not about what others are doing but what are others doing that works.

The mentor concept is huge, belonging is huge, having a voice is huge, having a task is huge and having opportunities is huge. Not only do we have to craft our lodge to meet the needs of the members. But we have to members who meet the needs of the lodge.

http://masonicrestorationfoundation.org/ - this is a resource I think every Master Mason should know about
- this is a speech given by Bro. Cliff Porter and talks about this issue.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0992857201/ref=ya_st_dp_summary - Book on lodge excitement. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping it also address the issue.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
@goomba This weekend our Grand Sec addressed very similar questions. His lodge requires prospects to attend six-months to a year of social evenings before they join. The prospect's expectations are discussed, as are the lodge's. The degree fees for his lodge are $1,000 dollars, plus charitable and admin costs ($104) and these costs are spelled out at the beginning. A mentor is assigned immediately upon being accepted, not sometime later, if everyone remembers. They have a 100% advancement rate and, since moving to a monthly dues payment schedule, have eliminated SNPDs.
(PS coincidentally, you'll find his lodge on the MRF list...)

tldubb

Premium Member
There are a few things to look into. During the investigation did anyone ask why are they joining? If they did, did the person asking know if the lodge could provide that? If the lodge did and does provide that fantastic. Now onto the lodge. Are there "people" (we all know one) who rub people that way or strife of some kind? Did something change? It's not about what others are doing but what are others doing that works.

The mentor concept is huge, belonging is huge, having a voice is huge, having a task is huge and having opportunities is huge. Not only do we have to craft our lodge to meet the needs of the members. But we have to members who meet the needs of the lodge.

http://masonicrestorationfoundation.org/ - this is a resource I think every Master Mason should know about
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0992857201/ref=ya_st_dp_summary - Book on lodge excitement. I haven't received it yet but I'm hoping it also address the issue.

The Brother in this video is spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Bloke

Premium Member

Thanks Bro. Listened to this last night, heard the start and end, but dozed off in the middle ( very late when I started it)... some very interesting statements...

And I've read that book. Interesting but tend to follow other models but it's broad message is in the title... and his focus on retention and engagement before recruitment is sound with the premise you need to recruit into a vibrant lodge to achieve retention and members recruit to vibrant not dull lodges...

Last edited:

chrmc

This one isn't mine, but I think it applies to the situation

Let me counter your question with a hypothetical scenario:

You've joined a very old and prestigious gardening club. You complete the process it takes to join and pay the cheap membership fees. With great excitement you attend your first gardening club meeting.

It starts out as a typical business meeting you've seen elsewhere. The members open the meeting, read the minutes, discuss business, vote on things, etc, ect...all the while you wait for the topic to turn to gardening. To your disappointment, gardening is only briefly mentioned when opening and closing the meeting as a formality and you certainly don't feel as though you've -learned- anything. You resolve to attend a few more meetings with hopes of learning something but you quickly realize the norm for the gardening club is to really not discuss gardening at all. You're disappointed but eh, it was easy and cheap to join so you quit.

I'd argue that there's a parallel between my story and Freemasonry. I hear lots of solutions that lodges have come up with to get new members but few people seem to suggest simply teaching Freemasonry during their meetings. IMO it won't matter how many people you raise in one night, how easy you make it to join, how much you advertise, or how low your dues are...if a lodge isn't offering the product people signed up for then low retention can be expected. Many people join expecting to learn how to become better men, after all, that's what we tell them Freemasonry does, however there is very little taking place which actually does this.

tldubb

Premium Member
Thanks Bro. Listened to this last night, heard the start and end, but dozed off in the middle ( very late when I started it)... some very interesting statements...

And I've read that book. Interesting but tend to follow other models but it's broad message is in the title... and his focus on retention and engagement before recruitment is sound with the premise you need to recruit into a vibrant lodge to achieve retention and members recruit to vibrant not dull lodges...

Brother Bloke, key word as you stated is vibrant!

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry