My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ring I Mysteriously found, Thoughts?

Neown

I was cleaning the attic of an older home, built roughly in the late 1800's (1890's) if I would have to take an educated guess on. It was a home built for the Darr mine, which known for today as the Darr mine disaster (worst mine disaster in US history)

I found this Ring hidden inside of the Ceiling boards, I was pretty shocked when I saw a ring box in the ceiling of an old house.

Does the Design on the sides mean anything(Wings)? just seems like an old ring to me.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 429

hanzosbm

Premium Member
The designs on the side are purely aesthetic; they don't hold any Masonic symbolism.

A nice ring though, nonetheless.

Bloke

Premium Member
It would be good to have more pics - but I agree at this point, the sides are aesthetic and not a masonic symbol... but you never know... it might be an organists ring and the sides represent bellows... that's the only crazy idea I have on this clearly Masonic ring as this point. Pity there is not writing in the box. does the centre piece (ring holder section) of the box come out ? I would be having a very close look for anything written anywhere..

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
The designs on the side are purely aesthetic; they don't hold any Masonic symbolism.

A nice ring though, nonetheless.
The jewel of a Deacon in some jurisdictions is a Dove which as we all know is a winged animal.

However, I'm probably making a huge stretch on the significance of the design.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Most Masonic symbols are clearly identifiable. The design on that ring is not. As such it is decorative.

When I saw it I wondered if it was the pages of a book. No, Masonic images of a book have a specific appearance and that's not it. Decorative.

Here's what I think happened. Someone had a nice ring. They took it to a gem carver and had the S&C logo carved into the stone.

LeoValMer05

The gem has a good chance to be masonic, but the side are more decorative than anything else. They could have had a personal meaning from its former owner too. Perhaps the sides could have represented wings as a form of American patriotism, like putting the American flag in todays masonic rings, or freedom from the perspective for the previous owner, or just aesthetics.