My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Jerry Southerland, PM

Sirius

Today I awoke to some unexpected news; my original Lodge mentor had passed away. While we had grown apart in recent years and had some disagreements in regards to Lodge, I never stopped appreciating what he had done for me as a young candidate.

I will never forget our many hours of learning the catechism. For each question and answer he provided detailed information about meaning and interpretation. It was hour upon hour in the Lodge room that changed my life.

I can remember, as if it was yesterday, the very first time we sat together. He taught me that the work a Mason is here to do is- to learn, to subdue his passions, and improve himself in Masonry. I asked if passion was not a good thing. He responded that our passions could control us if not properly subdued. While I still have trouble subduing my passions, it was in this moment that I began the process of taking control of them. The nonstop process of learning, subduing the passions, and improving myself in Masonry has continued from that moment to this moment.

Jerry Southerland was a man of zeal, energy, and devotion. As a Mason he gave his all. Sometimes I disagreed with what he was giving and we locked horns. It was those times that he taught me the most about what it means to be a man and a Mason.

Who I am and the life I have would not be the same if it was not for this brother. His passing creates in me a sense of pause and reflection. It reminds me of how grateful I am for having him as part of my life.

To the Grand Architect of the Universe, I am eternally thankful for the life of Brother Jerry Southerland.

Travel on, Brother.