My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Arch During Republic of Texas Era

Coastwatcher

Hello.

Does anyone know the organization of the York Rite ca 1835-1845 as it would have existed in Texas?
What degrees were conferred at that time?
What similarities and/or differences would be notable to today's YR Mason?

And as if that weren't enough, would it have differed materially from that of the American Revolutionary period as practiced in the colonies?

Many thanks.

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
I can not answer for Texas, but for colonial era Chapter Masonry, some of these degrees which were only two could be done in the Blue Lodges. As well as one of the degrees of the Commandery. Paul Revere is said to have taken his Chapter degrees as well as one Commandery order. The degrees in Chapter were the MMM and RAC, degrees, the other two which is used not in all jurisdictions is the PM and ME. The PM is an added degree and not all jurisdictions confer this degree. Perhaps your YR Grand Office can tell you more on Texas Chapter Masonry.

Coastwatcher

Cambridge,

Thank you for your most helpful response.

You must be clairvoyant, as I'm just starting on Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride.

Am considering going through at least the Chapter degrees, and was curious about their evolution.

I thought I had read where the ME is unique to America. Was 'Chapter' the descriptor for those degrees even then? Even though they could be conferred in Blue Lodge, were they considered 'separate' or 'side' degrees, just like today?

cambridgemason

Premium Member
Premium Member
I once did an inventory of a Masonic Lodge in Boston, and according to their old records in a inventory of theirs was an Ark of the covenant. I see no other use of this piece of regalia except for the fact that this lodge was one that could confer the royal arch degree. the only thing i do not know is that we had at one time two Grand Lodges here in MA. St John's GL under the Charter of England(1733) and than St Andrew or we call it St A's GL under the Charter of Scotland(1756), which later both merged into todays GL of MA. I do not know which of the two allowed the MMM and RAC, or did both. As far as I know they were a part of the Lodge, either higher or done separate I do not know. Again which GL allowed the other degrees done in the blue lodge, my only guess is that it was under Scotland, since that is the lodge Paul Revere and Joseph Warren were in St. Andrews Lodge, under the Scottish Charter, and both were companions.

Coastwatcher

Ah, I'm certain you are right. What a fascinating job you have.

If I recall, there were some bumps in establishing the Chapters in an orderly fashion in Texas as well, but it was eventually worked out.