My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scottish Rite Question

Txmason

Howdy!

I am Jerry and a Shriner and have been since September of last year and have enjoyed my time, but going to Shrine stated meetings is too far. Plus all of the units meet downtown and at night.

I'm interested in the Scottish Rite, but have a few questions;

First, I live on beautiful Lake Conroe and would like to contact the different SR clubs that are around me such as in Livingston, College Station etc. How do I do that?

Second, once I join am I expected to go to downtown Houston all the time?

Third, I'm interested in flying and getting together with other brothers whom are pilots to fly, discussion aviation etc. even start a flying club! Is there any such thing? Like at airports such as Tomball and Conroe? Where SR Brothers could meet?

Also, is there a way to find out if their are other brothers close by that we could start another SR club closer in my area? So that brothers that live far away and are not able to travel to Houston the ability to meet and hear the news from the SR in Houston?

Plus, am I expected to attend every SR event?

What are the yearly dues for Houston SR?

What if I cannot make the reunion in June 2012? Do I have to wait until then to join?

If I join now what can I do or do I have to wait to see the degrees?

Since I do photography, how can I do photography with SR?

Sorry for the exhaustive list!

Best,
Bro. Jerry Johnston

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

Txmason

Tomball does have a shrine club. I am a member of Montgomery county shrine club.

I am trying to find out information about the Scottish Rite clubs in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Freemasonry

tomasball

Premium Member
I'm not a member of the Valley of Houston, but here are a few generic answers.

Attendance at SR meetings is just as optional as Lodge meetings. Brethren who live far away from the seat of their Scottish Rite Valley may attend a local Scottish Rite club when they have activities. It is becoming popular for SR clubs to offer Continuing Masonic Education courses, which are usually monthly, and completely optional.

The website of the Valley of Houston has dates for upcoming reunions. If that doesn't satisfy, it is permissable to attend a reunion at another Valley, as a courtesy to the Valley of Houston. You just need to work through it with the General Secretary in Houston.

Scottish Rite Valleys try to exploit the talents of their members. I'm sure if you put the matter forward, they could keep you pretty busy taking photographs and working with other members with the same interest.

Ecossais

I have a question.

This brother wrote to ask about Scottish Rite Clubs. How does telling him that there is a Shrine Club in Tomball even remotely answer his question?

CzarAlexis

Is there a fee for each degree of Scottish Rite like the three degrees in blue lodge? I heard you go through degrees 4 through 14 in one class/session.

Freemason Connect Mobile

CzarAlexis

Oops. I meant to post this fee question in another section. Disregard, I didn't mean to change the subject here.

Freemason Connect Mobile

scialytic

Premium Member
The fee is $500 to join if you are over 30 years old and $250 if you are under. That may be specific to each valley though. You will find that it is well worth it if you are into understanding the deeper meaning of the Craft. If you are into the Blue Lodge ritual specifically...I would look at York Rite. They are both very important in your Masonic Journey, but it is all up to when you want, or if you want, to travel there.

(Don't quote me on the prices...check with your local outfits.)