My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Secretary

David612

Looking forward a few years down the line once I have sat in the east (senior deacon this year) I’m considering volunteering for the secretary role to become more involved in the lodges operations.

Jokes aside, how would you describe your experience?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Looking forward a few years down the line once I have sat in the east (senior deacon this year) I’m considering volunteering for the secretary role to become more involved in the lodges operations.

Jokes aside, how would you describe your experience?
If you really want to learn everything about how a Lodge operates, have a sincere desire to serve your Brethren, and have the time to devote to it (and are either single or have a VERY understanding mate!) it's the best job in the world.

David612

I’ve planed my work life that I can do quite a bit of other work at the office and have a drive to learn so it seems fitting.

Bloke

Premium Member
One of the keys to being a Sec is being organised. People complain about having the job, but I don't find it too bad, as long as things are not left to the last minute.

I have put boundaries about what I will and won't do. I don't organize trips away, I dont organize the social and meal aspect of Installations. I am not the head of the social committee.. You need to think about your time and skill set (and inclinations) and how they can be used by the Lodge and Master for "profit and pleasure".

I became Sec for one main reason - as an experienced PM, I was always cleaning up after Secs who asked me to do things because they had not left enough time to do them themselves. I ended up deciding it was better to manage my own time lines, rather than fix other peoples crisis. I offered my help and it was accepted.

Last edited: