My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Senior Deacon Tasks

Bro. Staton

As a newly appointed Senior Deacon of my lodge I understand the primary responsibilities of the Senior Deacon for opening,closing and each degree work. However, as I spoke to other officials (Grand Lodge officers,PM's and prior SD) I am now understanding that the Senior Deacon position is more indepth. So he is the right hand man for the WM and helps out in many ways. So my questions is what are all of the functions and tasks of the Senior Deacon other than what I have listed?? Please advise I need responses from all Senior Deacons, PM and WM.....Thanks in advance...

JJones

I believe a more in depth summary is usually given during the installation of officers. If so, and it may vary from state to state, then it should be included in your monitor as well.

Bro. Staton

Thank you JJones and you are correct it is vary from state to state and maybe even more so from PHA and AF&AM and so forth.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Consider which doors the JD and SD guard.

The JD guards the door that established brothers and members come through. He gets to know every member who enters. He's the greeting committee. At the office he would be the corporate insider who serves as glue to hold the company together, to make sure the work gets done and as a moderator to make sure projects that need help get brothers set to work on them. In some lodges the JD is on the committee for social events. He also introduces visitors and makes sure they are integrated into lodge activities. At the office this is the guy who shows experienced new hires the local ropes.

The SD guards the door that candidates come through. He gets to know every candidate who enters. At the office he would be the corporate insider who mentors folks new in their careers into experienced employees. He builds the lodge culture in a way that's less direct than the JD but that is also more from the ground up. At the office this is the guy who shows inexperienced new hires what it's like to operate in a position in this company. He explains both the written rules and the unwritten rules of how the work gets done.

Taken together deacons are like foremen at companies or like NCOs in the military. For those who have learned about the difference they are direct personal leaders who lead by example making sure folks do the work rather than administrators who are project managers who lead by organization making sure the work gets done.

The JW and SW have a similar patters of function but on the management and administrative side rather than the leadership and organizational side. Taken together they are like directors and VPs at companies or like commissioned officers in the military. Executives.

As you pass through the line it's a miniature career. Stewards are gophers and worker bees, enlisted. Deacons are leaders and supervisors, non-Coms. Wardens are managers and executives, officers. The WM is the CEO or President who sets direction and agenda, brass. And the PMs are the board of directors with less formal authority than a corporate board but as much influence, the senior/master CPOs, Commanders and such who are no longer in the direct line between the shop floor and the CO but who rather take care of the unit as a whole.

You'll notice I cut up the chairs using a different pattern than the posts Bro Blake has been using so that it fits the experience of military and large corporation folks. Different perspectives on the same progression.

Bro. Staton

Bro Fregburger thanks for that unique insight of both the JD & SD. I see that it's important for everyone to know and play his role in the ruling or governing of the lodge.