My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

senior deacon

rpbrown

Premium Member
Congradulations. I am the SD of our lodge now. Make sure you know the work as it is a big part of this chair.

widows son

Premium Member
Absolutely, though I'm too familiar with the work, SD prepares candidates and is the guide through the degrees?

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
The Senior Deacon is primarily a ritualist, with significant parts in all three degrees. He guides the candidate through the first section of each degrees, and is the primary person to deliver the second sections of the EA and FC, and a sizable part in the second section of the Master's. In lodge metings, he's also responsible for greeting and introducing visitors to the Lodge, attends the ballot box during voting, atends to the altar and its arrangements. He and the junior deacon work closely with the Master and the Senior Warden on miscellaneus errands and tasks as may be needed. Additional duties can vary, but he's usually fairly active in the lodge educational program as well.

Got that second section of the Fellowcraft memorized yet? December ain't far off ;-)

(I'll be moving up to the SD slot this December as well ;-) )

Last edited:

Phre-massen.nash

Congrats on the S.D. chair. I as well am S.D. in my lodge. You have to be on top of the lectures, and know what this and that means, when asked by a candidate. And if you do not know what it is, atleast be able to know where to find it, or even who to ask.

California Master

I would hope that you spent a year as JD? You can learn a lot as JD. To be thrust in the SD's chair tells me that the Worshiful Master for next year has a lot of confidence in you. To me, the Senior Deacon has a tremendous amount of responsibility. As stated above, you are at the center of all the procedures while the lodge is at labor.

Good luck and enjoy the office. You'll look back in a few years and say that being SD was one of your best years. It's a great office.

widows son

Premium Member
Thanks guys, and no this is my first chair. I was raided in May. My WM has a lot of confidence in my ability for work and respects my enthusiasm for the Craft. I have a great deal of respect for him as well

Ashlar

SD is a great learning chair , you are at the center of it all . BUT I found that sitting in the Oriental Chair as my best and most memorable position .