My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should EA and FC pay dues?

rmcgehee

California GL just passed a law requiring EA and FC to pay dues.This has caused quite a stir on the Lodge level.We have 40 EA and 6 FC on the books that have not been required to pay dues that are now going to get a bill.If I were one of these I would not be pleased.It seems to me the Lodge and these candidates have a contract that GL is changing.
If these Brothers do not pay these dues the Lodge will have to pay GL $32 each in per capita to GL before they can suspend them.
What are your thoughts?
Do EA and FC pays dues in your state?

daddyrich

That's not good news. I am in Southern California and we have quite a few EA and FC on our books that will be in for a surprise. I guess it could be seen as encouraging the lazier oned to get busy, why not pay if you plan on being a MM, anyway? They should have at least made it only applicable to new EA's, maybe?

musicman

I'm from Texas and I paid a due after every degree. I had a fee for my EA, then another after my FC as well as a MM fee. I was glad to put in just as I do every time I go to the lodge to eat or to study.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I don't think it is at all unreasonable, monetarily. I think only genuinely serious issues ought to keep an EA or FC from going over the time limits. I did mine while working, going to school full time, acting as my grandfather's primary care giver as well as serving as acting steward (by myself). So while I understand real life can become an issue, I also reckon if I can get it all done in a timely manner then most people can as well. I've got a terrible memory and I did it with a very full plate.

For the folks that don't, then they can surely pony up dues.

The sticky bit is that EAs and FCs are not members of a Texas lodge. So I'd have to see how they are doin it. Creating a non voting member group, perhaps?

chrmc

I can't decide to be honest. I think we all know that most lodges have issues with paying the bills, so this is perhaps not a bad way to breach this a bit. Several lodges in Europe has it this way, so it's seen in other places.
I think what it'll come down to, as in many other cases, is whether people feel they are paying for a quality product. Is the masonry you are getting in your lodge worth the X amount of dollars? If it is most will probably pay. If it's not - well that's when we see the people leave as soon as they made MM.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I'm not sure I'd like hitting them for dues at the same time we're hitting them for degree fees and other costs that new brothers incure.

Tx4ever

I'm from Texas and I paid a due after every degree. I had a fee for my EA, then another after my FC as well as a MM fee. I was glad to put in just as I do every time I go to the lodge to eat or to study.
"Music Man " the fees you paid after each degree was a Degree Fee. In Texas only Master Masons pay dues.

martin

Oh yes, they have to pay from the day they became a E.A because from that day you are a MASON that's how we do it in Canada ,first degree , second degree or third degree does not matter, you are not more or less you are a mason from the first day

daddyrich

In So Cal, apparently up till now, you were not a Member of the Lodge until your 3rd Degree was conferred. So, you didn't have to pay dues until you were a member. Maybe some thought their monies for the EA and FC were dues, but they aren't.

widows son

Premium Member
Well when I joined I got a dues card after I paid my fees and was initiated, and its the same one the master masons had before I was raised. The difference might be in the fact that in Canada lodges are opened in the 1st degree, and in America from what I understand lodges are opened in the 3rd, so in Canada an EA can sit in lodge and participate, and of course pay his dues lol

daddyrich

You are correct, we only work in lower degrees for certain things. Master Masons are the only one's allowed in a Stated meeting. That bugged me a bit when I was an EA and FC, but now I understand perfectly.

rmcgehee

California is now allowing EA and FC to attend Stated Meetings.They can speak but they can not vote.Stated Meetings in Calif. will be opened on the first degree.This is a Big Change for us.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Just for the record, in Texas... The fees payed by the EA & FC brethren are degree fees, and not GL dues. This is money that the lodge itself makes. In Texas Only Master Masons are full dues paying members.

Also, we are allowed to conduct business or open the lodge in any of the three degrees with minimal exception (reception of DDGM, etc.). To add, there is no requirement to open in MM then call down to a lessor degrees; we open in whatever degree is required.

AND... No, I do not feel that EA's or FC's should pay GL dues.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Just for the record, in Texas... The fees payed by the EA & FC brethren are degree fees, and not GL dues. This is money that the lodge itself makes.

Not exactly. $5.00 of the EA degree fee & $25.00 of the MM degree fee go to Grand Lodge.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Not exactly. $5.00 of the EA degree fee & $25.00 of the MM degree fee go to Grand Lodge.

I thought that the $5 contribution went to the George Washington memorial fund, from the EA degree??

Either way I stand corrected in contributions, though the end result remains the same. Only MM's "pay dues" in Texas.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Hmm. Let me refine my opinion.

If it is GL that gets this money, then no. If it is the lodge, then in my view, yes - if the candidate goes over the year mark. What we do now is suspend them anyway. So if this membership is a non voting one, then they basically have the option of paying $100 a year to avoid having to be revoted on. Seems like a good tradeoff for the EA as well as the lodge, especially if that EA is attending regularly and eatin up the lodge's chow for years on end.

The EA always has the option to A) not pay dues and be in the same situation they would be now, or B) get their work done.

I think as a practical matter it would simply be another kick in the butt to get the work done.

But if the money goes to GL, pass. Strongly, pass. I won't list the reasons why I think empowering GL is almost always a bad idea, but that is my opinion.

I find myself thinking it opens up too many cans of worms though, on the whole.

Last edited: