My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shriner's hospital closing

LRG

Premium Member
to the extreme. they have helped so many.
it would be nice if USA would step up and help in any way

J

JEbeling

This is one of the finest hospital in the world.. ! the children in the furture who need these people will be the loosers.. ! they did so many things to help kids..! when I went there I always planed to stay for a little while and would end up staying all day.. !

Curtis Wilson

I have a slightly different view on the problems of the Galveston Hospital. Been on both sides, as a Mason and the father of a patient. Going strictly on observations and knowing people that work there, I think the hospital cut it's own throat by sharing services with UTMB. Many residents and other services were shifted over in an effort to cut cost at the Shriners Hospital. Clinic day was usually a Mad house but organized with minimal staff and relying heavily on volunteers. They tended to run a full floor or shuting down floors if patient load was low, moving patients to critical floors and sending staff home. My opinion may be offensive to some, and it's not meant to be, but I think the hospital should have been totally self sufficient and not try to take on the world by linking to the state hospital. We moved away from the hospital to Texas Childrens, not because of the service of the Doctors or nurses, but not totally satisfied with how the hospital, as a whole was being administered and scheduled. The children are the ones that will suffer reguardless the cause for the closing, and I'm still sorry for it closing.

Jon D. Smith

Bretheren:
On Saturday, February 21, League City Lodge will be hosting its monthly Lamar dinner.
Of particular interest is that Bro. Glynn Gregory, 33rd, will conduct a presentation regarding the Scottish Rite Hospital beginning at 7:00 pm. I don’t know if any additional insight will be presented but, thought it worthy of mention.
It is truely a great loss that this wondeful service is being suspended.

If you would like to come, we’d love to have you. Home-made chicken & dumplings will be served at 6:00pm, if you would like to come for the meal as well.
Our physical address is 510 East Main St.

Jon D. Smith

I was getting my hosptials mixed. Bro. Gregory was representing and speaking on the children's hospital in Dallas. I didn't know much about it and found that it is indeed a wonderful institution. It's in great shape and not in danger of closing.
TSRHC treats Texas children with orthopedic conditions, such as scoliosis, clubfoot, hand disorders, hip disorders and limb length differences, as well as certain related neurological disorders and learning disorders, such as dyslexia.

http://www.tsrhc.org/

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I heard a report from an officer in the Shrine and the hospital endowment fund has taken a massive hit from the declining market combined with the insurance not covering all the improvments from hurricane Ike they where forced to close. They are not sure if more will follow. The Brother said the budget for alll the Shrine hospitals tops over 2 million a day, amazing they do so so much.

cemab4y

Premium Member
At the Imperial Shrine Convention, recently completed in San Antonio, the membership voted to keep the 6 hospitals under consideration for closure, open.

The Galveston hospital was clobbered by the hurricane. I am delighted to report that the Shrine has decided to re-open the Galvston hospital.

The endowment fund, has taken a massive hit, from the stock market collapse.

The Shrine, may consider accepting compensation from patients with medical insurance.

You can keep up with the Shrine activities and policy decisions at:

Shriners - Welcome

Last edited:

Hippie19950

Premium Member
Not being a Shriner, I am not sure I should comment, but some know I will... I have transported a number of kids to Galveston when I was still working in EMS/Fire. I appreciate the work that was done for the kids, and support for the famiies. I would like to see these hospitals re-open, or stay open. I feel that at this time, if they have to accept insurance etc to make ends meet, by all means do it. I know how improtant it is sometimes to remain independant, and not have to ask for outside help, and that is probably a part of the reasoning behind the decisions for the hospitals. Another key factor that may make them to want to stay independant, is to keep away outside influences, and interference. As they open up to accept outside payments, they also open themselves up to additional rules and regulationns that may make it harder financially to stay open. That is one reason you see fewer "home town" hospitals, and only larger ones in the bigger cities. It has become increasingly harder to do the work needed to save lives, and keep the cost in line, and then have to turn around, and answer questions when you should be with the patients. You also have to fill out more forms, operate by stricter guidelines and so on. These guidelines are not so much the ones that make it a safer facility, but to have to release a patient earlier than the Doc thinks he should, or before the patient is comfortable being away from the care. Couple that with the 20 to 50 miles they have to travel to get back to the hospital, and it's really difficult. Our Shriner hospitals are a lot farther away for most, and reduces the comfort zone even further. By no means do I have an answer, but I am sure there is a good one for all involved.