My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sons of Light Worldwide MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan B. Cook

I have made friends with a Brother who has founded a new motorcycle riding club for Master Masons only, Sons of Light Worldwide. He seeks no recognition from Grand Lodges as a "Masonic Body" such as the Widow's Sons did. SOL has grown to over 5 states now and continuing to grow. I inquired him about joining and learned a bit about it. I would be the Texas Chapter President since I would be the first in Texas. Now back to not seeking recognition from GLs, this is a excerpt from the email sent to me: "SOL (awesome abbreviation ha) does not act on behalf of any Lodge or Grand Lodge. Therefore I will not seek approval from either for the club patch sets or activity, as the widows sons have. Nothing wrong with them or that concept, but this is a club for Masons, for Masons. We will not answer to any Lodge because we are not acting on any official Lodge business, and I will not allow the club to be micromanaged when we have nothing to do with their affairs other than we are Freemasons. That attend their Lodges." So I guess my question is, is that in regards to the Widow's Sons and their history with the Grand Lodge, would there be any similar issues with this club? I would greatly appreciate input on this. I think this is one way we can grow our ever shrinking membership and teach others our craft.
Thanks, Morgan B. Cook

Mac

Premium Member
It's an organization (that would be) operating in Texas that predicates its membership on being a Master Mason. Rather than ask for recognition, so that Texas masons could participate, they flippantly say they don't need to that? I don't think they'd gain any ground if brethren are still wary after all of this other discussion.

chrmc

Pretty sure that this approach more or less will land the organization right in the Clandestine category in Texas.

But let me expand a little further. A patch with a skull and crossbones and the words Master Mason is probably not something many Grand Lodges will feel comfortable with portraying to the public.
Furthermore the statement "I will not allow the club to be micromanaged when we have nothing to do with their affairs other than we are Freemasons" reeks of arrogance and lack of respect for the Grand lodges.

Lastly I have to ask how a MC club can help grow the ever shrinking membership and teach others our craft? What part of this club is shedding light and enhancing the teachings of masonry?

Not trying to be rude, but this does not sound like a winner to me.

Last edited:

Morgan B. Cook

This is not a Masonic body. Its a club who is not associated with any Lodge or GL. Its a club for men who all are brothers and share the passion of riding. I believe something such as a MC club can help membership grow. Me being a younger Mason in my mid-20s, I have the Texas Mason plates on my vehicle and am constantly asked about it. People of my generation have no idea who we are, what we do, etc. All it would take is for someone to see the patch, ask you about, then boom, you have sparked their interest into Masonry. Its a fact, membership is decreasing. This isn't any type of a 1% club or anything like that of course. Ever since being raised, I have often tried to come up with ways to increase membership in ways that appeal to my generation, this being one for example that I know will. It will help others in the Craft by being able to meet in a casual setting and share each others thoughts, opinions, how each other apply the Masonic Doctrine to each others own lives. We can't just sit back and think that membership will grow again just by casually inviting a friend every now and then. The MC will instill in their minds, to a broader audience at a time, the idea of wanting to learn more of what we are about, bringing them to ask more questions, raising curiosity about joining.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Its a club for men who all are brothers

From the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas (which, as a Master Mason, you took an obligation to obey)

Art. 505. Certain Other Masonic Disciplinary Violations.
It shall be a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Lodge, a committee or any combination of Masons, or an individual Mason to:
<snip>
22. Participate in, approve, or aid in the formation of any organization predicating its membership on Masonic membership or in the formation of any local chapters or groups, by whatever name called, of any organization predicating membership on Masonic membership. It shall be a Masonic offense for any Texas Mason to be, remain, or continue as, a Member of any organization predicating its membership or affiliation on Masonic membership unless such organization is now currently approved or recognized in Article 225 or Article 225a.

I believe this answers your question.

widows son

Premium Member
Cool idea, but as mentioned, the GL might have its panties in a bunch. I too am of the genX/genY, and understand your thoughts. But you can't be a club, which the requirement for entry is to BE a MM, and not expect the GL to be involved.

Morgan B. Cook

Cool idea, but as mentioned, the GL might have its panties in a bunch. I too am of the genX/genY, and understand your thoughts. But you can't be a club, which the requirement for entry is to BE a MM, and not expect the GL to be involved.

Thanks! I highly agree. Its a very unfortunate situation for groups such as this in Texas IMO.

Morgan B. Cook

From the Laws of the Grand Lodge of Texas (which, as a Master Mason, you took an obligation to obey)

Art. 505. Certain Other Masonic Disciplinary Violations.
It shall be a Masonic disciplinary violation for a Lodge, a committee or any combination of Masons, or an individual Mason to:
<snip>
22. Participate in, approve, or aid in the formation of any organization predicating its membership on Masonic membership or in the formation of any local chapters or groups, by whatever name called, of any organization predicating membership on Masonic membership. It shall be a Masonic offense for any Texas Mason to be, remain, or continue as, a Member of any organization predicating its membership or affiliation on Masonic membership unless such organization is now currently approved or recognized in Article 225 or Article 225a.

I believe this answers your question.

I do not have a law book handy, would you please quote Articles 225 and 225a? I just want to make sure and be clear on everything.

scialytic

Premium Member
I do not have a law book handy, would you please quote Articles 225 and 225a? I just want to make sure and be clear on everything.

This is the hang up. It is also the reason why Widow's Sons HAD to seek recognition. Don't predicate membership upon having been initiated and you're getting closer. Lose all square & Compasses and Masonic references and you'd probably be perfectly fine. The use of S&C's and Mason could also be another way for GL to sink their/our teeth into you, as there are articles preventing their use for personal gain and other outside uses. Using them for the club/organization would surely land you in that category as well (complete conjecture on my part).

What's wrong with setting up a group of mostly Masons (or all...nobody says you can't just not let certain people in your group) to tool around or plan cross-country rides? Why does it have to be a psuedo masonic body that showcases that they are Masonic Bikers by having banners and web pages etc. Which could cause confusion when you end up being the only thing overtly Masonic that most people see.

Haven't you noticed the trend? Grand Lodge (specifically the body, not MW Grand Master) doesn't want the public only to associate Masonry woth Bikers. These groups get way more visibility than any Masonic body, aside from the Shriners. That is the hang up. It's not "just a patch" or "leather vest" or "being in a bar"...you'll be hitting the pavemwnt and anybody who isn't absolutely comfortable with the "Biker" image, may have a poor first impression of Masons by this initial (or more recent) exposure.

It's not that you guys are bikers. I've got a bike. It's about ensuring that the public, who only see us at funerals, very early in the morning when the fair starts, or has an immediate family member (which many Brothers I know didn't know their father was a Mason until he had died at age 86) base their ​OPINIONS/JUDGMENT on the factthat there are bikers that have Masonic symbols instead of on our main principles and purpose. I truly believe that this is the case, and any other reason is very minor in comparison...like not liking bikers.

Start a bike club based on Masonic moralistic values, etc. as bikers and keep it open to all males and you may actually start a great ingress for Friends that fall right in line and could become Brothers, as they learn more from you and the other Masons that are in the club.

Good luck and these are entirely my own ramblings and not meants to be a statement or sway your momentum. Do what's best and keep that drive! Developing or moving forward a concept like this is not an easy task. I commend you on your efforts...

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

Here you go:

Art. 225. Use of Lodge and Anterooms by Other Organizations:
(a)Allied Masonic Degrees, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Council of Royal and Select Masters, Daughters of the Nile, DeMolay, Grotto, “High Noon Clubs,” High Twelve International, Holy Royal Arch Knight Templar Priests, Knights Templar, Knights of the York Cross of Honour, Ladies ofthe Oriental Shrine of North America, Order of Beauceant, Order of the Eastern Star, Order of the Amaranth, Order of Knight Masons, Order of Rainbow, Order of Red Cross of Constantine, Order of Saint Thomas of Acon, Order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem, Royal Arch Masons, Royal Order of Scotland, Scottish Rite Bodies, Sojourners, The Daughters of Mokanna, The Masonic Rosicrucians (S.R.I.C.F.), York Rite College, The Worshipful Society of Free Masons, Rough Masons, Wallers, Slaters, Paviors, Plaisterers, and Bricklayers (otherwise known as “The Operatives”) and any degrees, Honorary Degrees and authorized groups authorized, recognized, permitted or commonly used by any of the above named orders, with the approval of the Lodge, and in the event more than one Lodge regularly meets in the Lodgeroom, then with the approval of all such Lodges, may be permitted under such conditions as may be specified by resolution of the Lodge or Lodges, to meet in the Lodgeroom, to place its charter on the walls of the Lodgeroom, and to leave its fraternal paraphernalia in the Lodgeroom, so long as such organization is permitted by the Lodge or Lodges to use the Lodgeroom. (Revised 2007)

Art. 225a. Other Organizations, predicating membership on Masonic membership, recognized.
In addition to those organizations recognized in Art. 225, next above, as being entitled to use Lodgerooms and Anterooms of Subordinate Lodges, the Grand Lodge of Texas may recognize and authorize other organizations which predicate membership on Masonic membership. Recognition and authorization must take place by approval of the Grand Lodge in Grand Communication. After an organization has been recognized and authorized by the Grand Lodge of Texas in Grand Communication, pursuant to this Art. 225a, Texas Masons may participate in, and be a part of, such organizations. Organizations recognized and authorized by Article 225a are not to use the Lodgeroom and/or Anteroom of a Subordinate Lodge under the jurisdiction of this Grand Lodge.

The organizations recognized and authorized pursuant to this Art. 225a will be published in the annual proceedings of the Grand Lodge of Texas and a listing will be maintained in the office of the Grand Secretary for reference thereto.

This Grand Lodge has always had and retained the right to withdraw, at its pleasure, approval of any organization heretofore approved by it, and this Grand Lodge continues to reserve that right. (New 2005)

Having waded through all of the above, aren't you glad you asked? :wink:

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
These MCs are becoming more and more problematic, I can't understand how any one can sit there and talk about the good for the brotherhood, when they seem to be nothing more than a distraction from what we need to do as Freemasons. Working on the internal temple should be our top priority, not driving around on a motorcycle. While there is nothing wrong with riding a motorcycle, trying to incorporate it into Freemasonry makes zero sense.

And no, I don't think that Masonic MCs are going to fix the membership retention issue. If I want to join an MC there are far easier ones to join that don't require you to go through three degrees, nor perform memorization work. Let alone deal with those pesky esoteric teachings.

Nice logos, though.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Last edited:

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Morgan we would love to see you at lodge in Belton #166 - Second Thursday Stated meetings the other Thursdays are Called or practice.

rpbrown

Premium Member
I agree with all that has been said above and want to add the following:

1) You and your friend might want to research the MMA, CoM, or NMC for rules of different clubs. The patch that you have shown is very similar to an outlaw club I have seen at some rallies and could get you into some uncomfortable if not dangerous situations.

2) Also, the MM patch in motorcyle circles is for Motorcycle Ministry. The patch that you should use would be RC for riding Club. The MC patch is for Motorcycle Club

3) Why do you need to belong to a "club" to ride. A club is a brotherhood. As masons we are members of the largest brotherhood in the world. I ride, I have a leather vest with the square and compass on the back as do several of my riding brothers. But, we are Masons that like to ride and not a member of any other orginazations (except SR, YR, or Shriners). What Iam saying is to find some brothers you like that ride and make a group ride.

jvarnell

Premium Member
These MCs are becoming more and more problematic, I can't understand how any one can sit there and talk about the good for the brotherhood, when they seem to be nothing more than a distraction from what we need to do as Freemasons. Working on the internal temple should be our top priority, not driving around on a motorcycle. While there is nothing wrong with riding a motorcycle, trying to incorporate it into Freemasonry makes zero sense.

And no, I don't think that Masonic MCs are going to fix the membership retention issue. If I want to join an MC there are far easier ones to join that don't require you to go through three degrees, nor perform memorization work. Let alone deal with those pesky esoteric teachings.

Nice logos, though.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Bro_Vic I hope I don't hurt my self by trying to answer the questions embeded in what you have said.

Most MC/RC have very stringant requirments in joining and alot on the negitive side of motorcycles. Being a Mason would show the positive side of stringant requirments and show the motorcycle world how light can help there lives.

Motorcycle riding is analogous in Masonary to being a Masoic musician (Pianist) in my mind. Every aspact of life that can make us better should.

When riders decide they want to belong to a MC and be able to depend on there brother MC members they only have one type MC to join and that is a bad group. If they had a good path which is Masonary to go down and know all Masons are there brother I think you will see that it may very well grow the ranks of Masons.

These are just my opinion and just voicing them to explan what I think others are thinking also. Please take this as a friendly explanation to what you have writen.

widows son

Premium Member
I agree with rpbrown. You already are apart of a brotherhood. Theres nothing saying you can't ride as a mason with other masons and make it known you are a mason. My question is, is a Masonic MC a lodge? And if so are there officers? If not how is it organized? If I'm not mistaken, in any Masonic body there has to be someone in the east, west, and south, how do masonic MC's deal with that. And if none of these are present, is it even still freemasonry? It would be hard to discuss light while driving on the highway with your bike screaming. How do MC masons deal with Masonic education? Charity works? If none of these are present then it just seems like the only reason to be a Masonic MC is just to ride and show off that your a mason.

jvarnell

Premium Member
I agree with rpbrown. You already are apart of a brotherhood. Theres nothing saying you can't ride as a mason with other masons and make it known you are a mason. My question is, is a Masonic MC a lodge? And if so are there officers? If not how is it organized? If I'm not mistaken, in any Masonic body there has to be someone in the east, west, and south, how do masonic MC's deal with that. And if none of these are present, is it even still freemasonry? It would be hard to discuss light while driving on the highway with your bike screaming. How do MC masons deal with Masonic education? Charity works? If none of these are present then it just seems like the only reason to be a Masonic MC is just to ride and show off that your a mason.

Just to answer your questions above.
No a MC is not a lodge but maybe a lodge activity that my have an opening and closeing before or after the activity.
There are officers of all MC and can be that same officers the lodge they are apart of.
The discustions and work are done before and after rides not durring it would have to be proprly tyled.
Charity is a easyone there are many ways MC do charity. They do all kinds of ride that collect money for charity. I am not sure how Rick Fairless (bike builder and owner of Strokers Dallas) is connected to the Scotish Rite hospital here in Dallas but he puts on rides and golf turnaments for them and others.

No it's not to show off that you are a Mason, it is to teach motorcycle riders they don't have to be a bad guy to belong to a group that is a fraternity of brothers.

Again I am just answering questions related to MC's and nothing else.

Bro_Vick

Premium Member
Bro_Vic I hope I don't hurt my self by trying to answer the questions embeded in what you have said.

Most MC/RC have very stringant requirments in joining and alot on the negitive side of motorcycles. Being a Mason would show the positive side of stringant requirments and show the motorcycle world how light can help there lives.

Motorcycle riding is analogous in Masonary to being a Masoic musician (Pianist) in my mind. Every aspact of life that can make us better should.

When riders decide they want to belong to a MC and be able to depend on there brother MC members they only have one type MC to join and that is a bad group. If they had a good path which is Masonary to go down and know all Masons are there brother I think you will see that it may very well grow the ranks of Masons.

These are just my opinion and just voicing them to explan what I think others are thinking also. Please take this as a friendly explanation to what you have writen.

I don't buy what you are selling. So the Christian Motorcyclists Association (CMA) has beat-ins for members and is a bad group? Are you kidding me? I thought the whole mantra on MCs is that the majority are just fun loving, red blooded Americans, and the few bad ones are "1%" are you saying that the culture of Motorcycles is so pervasive in illegal behavior that you do not have any real good options as a motorcycle enthusiast? Then why be one? Better yet, why would we want to sponsor a Masonic organization in a sub-culture that is so dangerous? No, if you don't have any group options that are not illegal or dangerous, then you need to re-evaluate your participation in that culture. I personally don't believe that is the case, and makes a very, very weak argument for the establishment of all these Masonic RC/MC.

Your argument is making it near impossible for me to see any reason for me to support any type of sanctioned MC Masonic activity. As a wise man once told me "Put down the shovel"

Regarding your comment on the Musician in the lodge, at one time they played a key role as we sang a lot of the degrees back at the turn of the 20th century. Those parts were converted to speaking parts, and the musicians role has become mute, it doesn't help that a lot of learned men stopped learning how to play musical instruments (it is just our culture, nothing to do directly with Freemasonry). As far as I know a Motorcycle isn't part of any of the degrees, I have heard of lodges incorporating them (not something I agree with), but they are not, nor were they ever part of the initiation process.

The argument you are making is the same argument that was made for the Shrine, and we see how well that is working out for everyone. Drama between grand bodies, members never showing up to blue lodge, etc. This is nothing more than another distraction from what we need to be doing as Freemasons, working on the internal temple and learning the ancient mysteries passed down to us by our forefathers. We need to be leaders in the community, and upright citizens. Not make our hobbies into apendent bodies and distract further from the Work.

S&F,
-Bro Vick

Status
Not open for further replies.