My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SR (and YR) in numbers

Kalip78

Hello from Warsaw!

Brethren, can any one tell me how many American Masons belong to SR and how many to YR? And maybe how many belongs to both organisations?

S&F from Poland!

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Ok so I am doing a little (lot) guess work.

The GL of Alabama had 25,885 members in 2013-2014.

The Grand Chapter of AL had 1,531 members in 2013-2014

The Grand Council of AL had 1,457 member in 2013-2014.

The Grand Commandery of AL had 1,507 members in 2013-2014.

Average York Rite 1,393 which is 0.05 of Alabama’s total Masonic membership.

The Scottish Rite Southern Jurisdiction says there are about 1.7 million Masons in the USA and about 550,000 belong to the SR.

The Masonic Service Association says there were 1,257,218 masons in the USA in 2013. Using the SR’s above numbers that would be about 0.31 of all Masons so of the 1,257,218 about 389,747 would belong to the Scottish Rite.

Using the Alabama 0.05 and 1,257,218 the estimate nationwide is 62,861 total York Rite.

Master Masons in the USA: 1,257,218

York Rite Masons in the USA: 62,861

Scottish Rite Masons in the USA: 389,747

Granted all of this is just a WAG (wild ass guess) but the membership numbers are from official documents. Also I’m assuming the membership percentages from Alabama reflect the Masonic numbers of the other 49 states.

Also these number do not include our Prince Hall Brethren. Not sure where to get any membership numbers for those grand lodges.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Granted all of this is just a WAG (wild ass guess) but the membership numbers from officer documents. Also I’m assuming the membership percentages from Alabama reflect the Masonic numbers of the other 49 states.
As good a theory as any.

Kalip78

Thank you Brother for the information!

Honestly I thought that there is a greater balance between SR and YR. The difference is really huge.

Frats from frozen Warsaw!

dfreybur

Premium Member
Honestly I thought that there is a greater balance between SR and YR.

To me it seems like more YR members are active, fewer SR members are active. So it looks closer to balanced based on level of activity than it is based on number of members. I hardly ever go to SR or Shrine, but I like being a member.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
How much of the Scottish Rite membership is a holdover from the 50s, 60s, and 70s as a gateway to the Shrine?
This is another WAG, but I'd wager a larger percentage of YR Masons are active in the respective bodies than SR Masons. If my theory about the Shrine is accurate, I'd also wager a larger portion of the YR Masons are active in their Blue Lodges.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I know that in northern NM more new members go SR, but the big pink castle is right next door to the lodge and is a huge draw.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
The SR is very active here, too. That's not what I was saying. I was alluding to the 390K SR members vs. 63K YR members. I was saying percentage wise, I'd venture the YR members are more active.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The SR is very active here, too. That's not what I was saying. I was alluding to the 390K SR members vs. 63K YR members. I was saying percentage wise, I'd venture the YR members are more active.
Percentage wise in NM... I don't have have the numbers, but YR has very few members and fewer attending. Several towns within a 200 mile radius have to gather to even open. I'm not SR, but I've seen the people going into the castle and there is always a crowd.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I agree. Im sure that the percentage ratio is higher with the YR. I meant that here the SR is more visable then the YR here and they do more in the community so new members know about them

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
I agree. Im sure that the percentage ratio is higher with the YR. I meant that here the SR is more visable then the YR here and they do more in the community so new members know about them

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

As an aside, what you might consider two orders in York Rite, Mark (MMM) and Holy Royal Arch aka "Chapter" are the only two other bodies recognized and mentioned in our Craft GL Constitution. We don't talk York and Scottish Rite here, we just talk appendant bodies or erroneously "higher orders"...

Bloke

Premium Member
I know what you mean. I've heard this even from other Masons. There are only additional degrees, not higher ones.

I agree. It creates the wrong impression for non and new Freemasons..... it's like the 33°, lots of non-Freemasons picture them walking into a Craft Lodge and being "senior" when in a Craft Lodge, something like an Admiral is on a ship, whereas we know they only have their Craft "rank" of Master Mason or Past Master... or Craft GL rank.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
we know they only have their Craft "rank" of Master Mason or Past Master... or Craft GL rank.
Yeah. I look up these Masonic conspiracy sites for entertainment value (laughs). I love it when they cite their sources as "high ranking Masons". Lol.