My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stewards Cornicopias

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Should they face in to the JW or out to the Craft? In Oregon I was told out but in New Mexico no one knew if there was a right or wrong way...what say you brethren?

This may turn in to a points up ir down convo but im curious

skas

Premium Member
Our chaplain swears up and down it's towards the in, towards the JW. I've seen nothing to indicate there is an official rule for this in my jurisdiction.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I was Raised in Oregon and i agree with how i was told there...out to the craft...as it is the job of the stewards to assit the JW during refreshment.....there for its their job to feed the brethren

dfreybur

Premium Member
I didn't even notice that the two steward symbols were mirror images until I had already been through the line twice. It is likely your jurisdiction has no local tradition on the matter because so few are aware the two symbols are not identical.

My suggestion - The points of the horns are towards the JW. The fruit are away from the JW towards the brethren. The reason I make this suggestion is the duties of the JW are to provide the victuals which the stewards present to the members.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
JC when i was helping Scott set up the lodge for the installation i asked him and he said he had never thought about it or been told one way or the other

MarkR

Premium Member
My understanding has always been like Doug's; the bells of the cornucopias point away from the JW to symbolize the refreshment flowing from his chair.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Did you get an answer? I suddenly remember someone saying they should open out, to spill their bounty unto the lodge.

Bloke

Premium Member
Did you get an answer? I suddenly remember someone saying they should open out, to spill their bounty unto the lodge.
I obviously know what a cornucopia is ( and not just cause I saw the Hunger Games) but I'm a little lost. I lay out the lodge a lot and if you are talking the jewel, the tip of the horn is to the left so when facing the pavement, it would point towards the SW (our JW sits in the South and our stewards theoretically sit in North West so they are close to the door as they are generally given permission to retire prior to lodge closing...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Our JW its in the South and the Stewards sit in front of him with the SS on his right and JS on his left. My question was should the opening be faceing in to the JW or out to craft.
I asked Jose and he said that there is no rule but it should be out. JC i noticed that Montezumas dont point either direction...

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
Our JW its in the South and the Stewards sit in front of him with the SS on his right and JS on his left. My question was should the opening be faceing in to the JW or out to craft.
I asked Jose and he said that there is no rule but it should be out. JC i noticed that Montezumas dont point either direction...

Thanks. JW is South here too, and sitting stewards next to him make sense... here Stewards are traditionally seated in NW so they don't cross or circumpreamblate the lodge for a fast exit to put drinks on tables before lodge is closed...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
In OR out Stewards also stepped out right as the Master proceeded to close as we didnt have a meal b4 hand but refreshments after. In NM we have dinner b4 lodge and nothing after

Canadian Paul

In my lodge the Senior's Steward's wand bears a cup and cornucopia, the Junior Steward's only a cornucopia. I've NO idea which way the points point but I will look tonight when I attend a practice! One sits at the right of the JW, the other at the left of the SW, but again - I'm not sure which is which! It certainly is NOT something set down by Grand Lodge. If there are 'light refreshments' after the meeting the Master will dismiss the Stewards before he starts to close the lodge. The various thanks and greetings exchanged when the Wardens and Master inquire 'is there any further business...?' usually gives them time not just to boil the kettle but to steep the tea!