Tercentenary Celebrations in England?

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by R. Jacques Johnson, May 18, 2016.

1. R. Jacques Johnson

R. Jacques Johnson Registered User

I plan on traveling to London to take part in the historic 300th anniversary of the UGLE. Are there any Prince Hall organized celebrations being held in England for the 300th anniversary of the Grand Lodge? If so, can you forward the details so that I might be able to schedule my travel around those events. Thank you in advance.

2. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

You need to search this site, there is info on the 300 anniversary, only the GMs and one guest are invited from the jurisdictions, I don't think that includes PH, unless the State GM invites the PHA GM

3. R. Jacques Johnson

Thanks brother, I have read and understand all of the information regarding the invited functions. I received written correspondence from the UGLE External Relations and have attached the following response. After reading the letter you may better understand the question that I am asking. Is any Prince Hall Grand Lodge planning to organize an event in London anytime between St. Johns Day and Halloween? Although, these schedule events will not be the actual meeting that can only be attended by those invited dignitaries the UGLE is allowing private masonic celebrations to commemorate this historic milestone. I am going to London regardless of if I can attend a meeting. I would still like to fellowship with brothers while I am in country and celebrate being a part of this rich history that we share. I won't live to see the 400th anniversary and feel blessed to be alive for this one so nothing will discourage me from being present for this historic event.

Dear Mr Johnson,
    Thank you for your enquiry about the Tercentenary Celebrations of the United Grand Lodge of England (UGLE).

As is well known, the Tercentenary of the first Grand Lodge, falls on 24th June 2017, but the Board of General Purposes decided to hold the major international gathering on 31st October 2017, thereby giving a window of 16 months (from the start of our 300th year) for UGLE, Provinces and Districts to host events. A committee has prepared an outline for the 300 years celebrations, projects have been agreed upon and venues booked. Provinces and Districts have put in place plans for local celebrations.

The Celebration of 300 years will be held in the Royal Albert Hall (RAH) on the afternoon of 31st October 2017. In addition, in the evening, there will be a Dinner at Battersea Evolution (BE). Invitations to the Grand Masters of all Grand Lodges recognised by UGLE have been sent, together with invitations for representatives of each Province and District.

Whichever venue had been chosen it would have been impossible to facilitate all those that would have wanted to attend. For that reason the event at the RAH will be streamed live around the world. Brochures containing articles about the Tercentenary and a broad outline of the event will be available several weeks before the 31st October with a downloadable update of proceedings produced a few days before.

The event at the RAH will be a special meeting of Grand Lodge, whilst “called off”. There are a restricted number of places available at both RAH and BE and these have all been allocated.

There will be an all ticket event in parallel to RAH and BE with a live streaming of the event at RAH in Freemasons’ Hall in Great Queen Street. This will be followed by Dinner (at cost) in the Grand Connaught Rooms (GCR).

Applications for these two parallel events can only be made through your Grand Lodge Secretary.

They will receive further details and forms of application for the live steaming and dinner at GCR later in 2016. Other information can be obtained from Keith Gilbert the Coordinator of Planning for the Tercentenary at kgilbert.tpc@ugle.org.uk

During the period of the Celebrations there will be exhibitions and events both in Freemasons’ Hall and around the Provinces in England and Wales. Details of these can be obtained from your Grand Secretary.

The United Grand Lodge of England, Freemasons’ Hall, 60 Great Queen Street, London WC2B 5AZ. For more information about The United Grand Lodge of England, please visit our website http://www.ugle.org.uk/. CAUTION: This email is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected by law from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone +44 (0)20 7831 9811 or email the sender immediately and delete this message and any attachments from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy this message or attachments or disclose the message or attachments to any other person. This email and any attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to delivery. The United Grand Lodge of England accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses or any other malicious code and you are responsible for carrying out your own virus checks before opening the email and any attachment. Where this email is unrelated to the business of UGLE, the opinions expressed in this email are the opinions of the sender and do not necessarily constitute the opinions of UGLE.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Well, exactly what are you going to take part in?

5. R. Jacques Johnson

I have attended numerous grand lodge sessions, mid-winter conferences, imperial sessions and I know that all the brothers don't go home after the meetings. I'm sure there fill be some evening festivities full of opportunities for good men to fellowship during the hours of refreshment. I will take part in those events schedule outside of the official functions such as charity events, church visitations and take advantage of any vendors that may be there selling unique Masonic regalia and wears. I plan on visiting family there anyways I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

6. Glen Cook

As you are going to visit family anyway, your trip won't be wasted.

If I may ask, what is a "church visitation"?

7. Ripcord22A

If its what we do here at my lodge every so often we will meet at the lodge and process to a local place of worship and take part in their services. Last year we went to Christ in the Desert Monistary for St Johns Day this SJD we are going to the Loretto Chapel in downtown santa fe

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Glen Cook likes this.
  8. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Some jurisdictions have a tradition of Brothers attending church together as a lodge event on either Saint John day. In Illinois doing so is a point in the Grand Master Award of Excellence program. Many GLs have such a program under various names with various lists of activities.

One of my Illinois lodges attends a local Catholic church each year. It's nice to fly the flag at a place where we are well known as regulars. And in the case of many of the Brothers nice to see services that are somewhat different than the ones they usually see. Plus there's an assortment of advantages to being on good terms with a local Catholic church. That last point is why we continued going there every year rather than cycling around year to year.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Thanks to both of you. Our Province does a carol service at an Anglican Church. I'm afraid our correspondent on the subject may be sorely disappointed as to the events available.

10. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

As part of the Installation, members are (sometimes) invited to the GM's place of worship. Not sure what happened this year, but the year before last, it was Synagogue and people of other faiths are welcome, I know there were Christians and Muslim which attended. It's nice..

11. Dheath5

Dheath5 Registered User

Greetings brother, Wouldn't the PHA GMs that are recognized by the Grand Lodge of England get their own invite instead of being a guest of the Mainstream GM. I reside in Texas and our Grand Lodge is recognized.

12. Ripcord22A

Brother i have no clue honestly. Your point makes sense, however what about those GLs that dont recognize PHA at all....

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Recognition is jurisdiction by jurisdiction not state by state. The difference may seem subtle until we reach a topic like this. Before recognition there's one jurisdiction that UGLE recognizes in each state. After recognition there are two.

As far as I know invitations were extended to each jurisdiction recognized by the UGLE not to each state. Being outside of the US they aren't interested in our states.

14. Dheath5

Dheath5 Registered User

To my understanding, in order for a PHA GL to be recognized by the Grand Lodge of England it must gain recognition from the mainstream GL of its state first. There are still a few states where the Mainstream and PHA still have no recognition. Therefore you wouldn't find that PHA jurisdiction on Grand Lodge England weebsite. Then again there is PHA Grand Lodges that state of Texas PHA don't have fraternal recognition with either.

15. Ripcord22A

I was refering to places like GA that dont recognize PHA at all. I could see a place like GA making a stink that PHA brethren are there

16. Dheath5

Dheath5 Registered User

17. Glen Cook

And some, such as PHA OK which haven't sought recognition.

18. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Actually a lot of states in both branches of our family have incomplete mutual recognition lists.

Some have what is called "blanket recognition" automatically recognizing when local recognition happens. Here's the list in what I'll called "George Washington Affiliation" branch of our family - http://bessel.org/masrec/phablanket.htm I've never found a similar list of PHA jurisdictions that grant "blanket recognition". So far the only one I know of is PHA Arkansas that granted blanket recognition about 2-3 years ago. That's interesting because Arkansas does not yet have local recognition.

Others do recognition one state at a time. The lists tend to be incomplete. There are 18 PHA jurisdictions that have not yet returned GLofCA's invitation.

Few appear to understand the concept of completing the set. Almost every Brother I have discussed the mater with says "We recognize Prince Hall" as if that meant the full set.

19. Glen Cook

Share My Freemasonry