My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Lewis Jewel

Winter

Premium Member
My home jurisdiction doesn't but I think they are a great idea. Though even if my GL doesn't codify its wear, I seriously doubt anyone would have any heartache if the son of a Brother wore one.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Does your jurisdiction authorize the Lewis Jewel?
Though even if my GL doesn't codify its wear, I seriously doubt anyone would have any heartache if the son of a Brother wore one.
They neither authorise nor ban them - and you seen them about..
I have never seen one before. In our constitution / by laws it is not even mentioned so I don't think that anyone would have anything to say if the son of a Mason would wear one. We probably wouldn't recognize it for what it was anyway, lol.

Hancock

Just to clarify, the Lewis Jewel indicates that a father, who is a mason, has rasied a son in such a way that he is suitable to also join the fraternity, and has done so. Both the father and son wear the jewel. It has two tabs, with the fathers name on one, the sons on the other. If the grandfather was also a mason in good standing, it would have three tabs, a great grandfather- four tabs, and so on.

Hancock

Grand Lodge of England
"The word Lewis denotes strength, and is here depicted by certain pieces of metal dovetailed into a stone, which forms a cramp, and enables the operative Mason to raise great weights to certain heights with little encumbrance, and to fix them in their proper bases. Lewis, likewise denotes the son of a Mason; his duty is to bear the heat and burden of the day, from which his parents, by reason of their age, ought to be exempt; to help them in time of need, and thereby render the close of their days happy and comfortable; his privilege for so doing is to be made a Mason before any other person however dignified." from the Junior Warden’s Lecture used in the Grand Lodge of England dating from 1801

http://www.thefleece.org/lewis.html

Elexir

Grand Lodge of England
"The word Lewis denotes strength, and is here depicted by certain pieces of metal dovetailed into a stone, which forms a cramp, and enables the operative Mason to raise great weights to certain heights with little encumbrance, and to fix them in their proper bases. Lewis, likewise denotes the son of a Mason; his duty is to bear the heat and burden of the day, from which his parents, by reason of their age, ought to be exempt; to help them in time of need, and thereby render the close of their days happy and comfortable; his privilege for so doing is to be made a Mason before any other person however dignified." from the Junior Warden’s Lecture used in the Grand Lodge of England dating from 1801

http://www.thefleece.org/lewis.html

Wich of the GLs of England?

Not worn in my juristiction. Dont see a need for it either...

Winter

Premium Member
UGLE did not exist before 1813, so it couldnt have been them.

The United Grand Loge of England was founded in 1813. Prior, there were two Grand Lodges in England. So that lecture is obviously from one of those. Not sure which.

Mrredsand9

Question: both I and my father were raised on the same day. We belong to the Grand Lodge of PA. Would there be any issue with getting one for each of us since both father and son are master masons? Think it would be a neat Christmas gift for both of us to have.

Thanks,
Red

Winter

Premium Member
Question: both I and my father were raised on the same day. We belong to the Grand Lodge of PA. Would there be any issue with getting one for each of us since both father and son are master masons? Think it would be a neat Christmas gift for both of us to have.

Thanks,
Red
Interesting question. The way I have also seen it worded and used is that the father must be a Master Mason in good standing at the time his son is initiated. It represents the father "raising" the son, which is his strength, in the way of the Craft. If you both came to the Order at the same time, not sure if that applies.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk