My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the Lion, the Bull, the Man, the Eagle

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
Here is a nice set of symbols whose meanings I have had difficulty discovering. I realize that I may have wandered off the path into symbols that are more prevalent in the York Rite. (I am not a member of the SR) However I am wondering what these symbols mean to the Brothers assembled here. They have been of little use to me since I have been unable to discern their meanings. How do these symbols relate to Masonry? How do you relate to them? Thanks

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Here is a nice set of symbols whose meanings I have had difficulty discovering. I realize that I may have wandered off the path into symbols that are more prevalent in the York Rite. (I am not a member of the SR) However I am wondering what these symbols mean to the Brothers assembled here. They have been of little use to me since I have been unable to discern their meanings. How do these symbols relate to Masonry? How do you relate to them? Thanks
Brother, The source of these four symbols come directly from nature. They are the four cardinal (seasonal) points of the zodiac (of older times) and are collectively referred to as Cherubim.

You would see three of the four at any point of the year when looking up into a clear night sky. Why more people don't see this (connection) is because most people are not trained in astronomical references.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Brother, The source of these four symbols come directly from nature. They are the four cardinal (seasonal) points of the zodiac (of older times) and are collectively referred to as Cherubim.

You would see three of the four at any point of the year when looking up into a clear night sky. Why more people don't see this (connection) is because most people are not trained in astronomical references.

And because street lights see to it that many see the constellations so rarely they are not familiar enough to recognize. And because somewhere along the line comparative mythology as the context for western secular civilization was dropped from the curriculum so kids discuss Star Wars instead of not in addition to the constellations.

One thing the zodiac reminds me of - Precession of the equinoxes. That leads to calculus which merged two of the liberal arts and sciences.

GKA

Premium Member
Everyone is familiar with the Zodiac however few are familiar with the Masonic constellations, I suggest you read " Stellar Theology and Masonic Astronomy" by Robert Hewitt Brown.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Everyone is familiar with the Zodiac however few are familiar with the Masonic constellations, I suggest you read " Stellar Theology and Masonic Astronomy" by Robert Hewitt Brown.
Been there, done that. Why would you suggest reading it?

GKA

Premium Member
In spite of the obvious fact that this publication offers nothing of value to you, there are other brothers who are interested in learning of that which has been written in the golden age of Freemasonry, I doubt that there is anything you have written which compares.

LAMason

Premium Member
...the golden age of Freemasonry...

When was "the golden age of Freemasonry" and why was it "the golden age of Freemasonry".

Just because some crackpot writes a book about some theory he has about the origins of or some connection to Freemasonry, stringing together some events and/or symbols to support the claim does not make it true. Robert Hewitt Brown was not the first nor will he be the last to do so.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” Daniel Patrick Moynihan

GKA

Premium Member
I should clarify my point,
Brown is not postulating anything radical or new, he is merely bringing together the popular scientific thought with that of the traditional explanation of the meaning of the Royal Arch.
Every publication I have read, including those officially sanctioned by Grand Chapter state the same conclusions as does Brown.
In fact, it is difficult to find anything written in the 19th century, of which is credible, that holds a contending opinion.
However, your point of opposition is valid in that nobody knows for sure just what any of our symbolism means, having been created over 200 years ago.
Yet, there is a wide conciseness that the majority of information provided by reputable authors is on point.
I am surprised though that this topic should gender such strong opposition to it's possible validity, maybe Brothers just like to argue.

GKA

Premium Member
The intended statement was "Beyond" not above,
Simply referring to the perceived unfamiliarity with the York Rite.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
GKA said:

Coach Said:
Been there, done that. Why would you suggest reading it?

GKA said:
In spite of the obvious fact that this publication offers nothing of value to you, there are other brothers who are interested in learning of that which has been written in the golden age of Freemasonry, ...

My my! Aren't you the defensive one... I asked a simple question. Have you no valid reason behind your suggestion? What's the connection between the book you suggest and the topic at hand? Can you not provide to the other Brothers who might be interested any supportable or persuadable comments? It's a big thick book GKA. Was there nothing within its covers that was worth mentioning within your posts?

...I doubt that there is anything you have written which compares.
LOL! Doubt away GKA. When you have a set of nine books on Freemasonic Ritual, Origins, Practice and Masonic Application, not just the theater and fabricated lore of Freemasonry, then you might get my attention as someone worthy of such condemnation.

Until such time, you might want to re-examine what spouts from your zeal-driven fingers as what you currently post appears quite foolish.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Perhaps the information is above your station, sorry I confused you
LOL! You sure do know how to make friends and influence people buddy.

Perhaps the information provided is so far below the mud level that some of us don't care to pretend its more than that to put on some false air of pseudo-intelligence.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Unless of course the "working tools" can be used in a "moral" sense in which case it will be possible to devise repeatable tests for which meanings are true in which reality.

And having established provisional meanings for some symbols, those symbols can be used to re-structure the local reality - again subject to repeatable experiment.
You do realize that the symbolism applied to the Working Tools was fabricated decades after the initial fabrications of the first three degrees?

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
...nobody knows for sure just what any of our symbolism means, having been created over 200 years ago.

Well, when you consider most of them were borrowed to fabricate the ritual plays, it's fairly easy to surmise that they meant something before Freemasonry got a hold of them to put them into their plays.

...I am surprised though that this topic should gender such strong opposition to it's possible validity, maybe Brothers just like to argue.
I think you may have some confusion here. It is neither the topic that is causing arguments, nor the Brothers who respond to your posts.[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Have you considered the difference between an emblem and a symbol?
Yep. Is a broken record an emblem or a symbol?

How about a cigar? is it an Emblem? a Symbol? or just a good smoke if ignited?

Symbols work by their energy connection to the underlying reality.
Have you considered that Symbols are PATTERNS and have no ENERGY whatsoever? Have you considered the connection that these patterns have with underlying reality are the patterns themselves? Have you considered the patterns of your thoughts being influenced by the patterns of your desires more than the actual reality of the patterns themselves? so many things to consider! Phew!

This is particularly evident in geometric forms as is often experienced by the brethren setting up the lodge or chapter where the alignment of the furnishings progressively changes the atmosphere in the room.
Define "atmosphere".

and while you're at it, you might want to consider actually responding to the question I asked.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
I have actually conducted quite lot of experiments on that very matter - using interested brethren. Most can easily feel the heat in the middle of the Point within the Circle. They are quite surprised.
LOL! Sort of like slow acting chili peppers...

GKA

Premium Member
LOL! You sure do know how to make friends and influence people buddy.

Perhaps the information provided is so far below the mud level that some of us don't care to pretend its more than that to put on some false air of pseudo-intelligence.
Yea, I'm not impressed, some people, justify their existence by expounding the same old hat explanations which still do not answer the questions at hand, how easy it is to attack what you cannot understand, but pleas continue to hide behind your publications,
To some the standard explanations are enough, for others, they are not. You and I are on opposite sides of the fence
I sincerely hope you enjoy your security.

Last edited: