My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Moral Bucket List

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I define Philosophy as the search for the best way to think about things. I enjoyed reading this article about finding what is important in life. It addresses the question of "what is important in life". Here is a sample:

It occurred to me that there were two sets of virtues, the résumé virtues and the eulogy virtues. The résumé virtues are the skills you bring to the marketplace. The eulogy virtues are the ones that are talked about at your funeral — whether you were kind, brave, honest or faithful. Were you capable of deep love?

I hope you will give it a read and let me know what you think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/12/o...html?rref=collection/column/david-brooks&_r=1

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but...

I was a bit disappointed in the article. I LOVED the opening premise that you included in your post, I just felt like once the author got into the meat of it, they fell short. I think that we, as a society (the world, not Freemasons), focus far too much on ourselves as well as the here and now. I don't know if it is the fear of death and therefore people ignoring it by focusing on life, or the importance placed on life that causes people to forget about what comes after (a bit of a chicken and the egg philosophy there) but I've found that even asking someone what they think will be said about them at their eulogy usually results in a complete mental shutdown as they scoff saying it's just a morbid thought. Morbid? I don't think so. Difficult, yes.