My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The opening and closing charges

JJones

Hello brethren,

I've been working on memorizing the opening and closing charges as they are in the Texas monitor. The monitor states that the charges are not mandatory and completely optional (which explains why I haven't ever heard them before) but some of the wording, along with the benediction that comes afterwards, has me wondering if it's appropriate for all the degrees, or just opening and closing in a Masters.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mac

Premium Member
I've only heard the closing charge given in a MM Lodge. It was during a meeting of the Lodge of Research, actually. ;)

It struck me so impressively that I've also decided to learn it, if only to give it during special meetings or after raising a brother.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
There is a charge given after the lecture in each degree. The "charge at closing" in the Monitor, which is different than the charges at the end of the degree conferrals, is to be given "immediately prior to the benediction", which is given only at the closing of a MM Lodge.

JJones

There is a charge given after the lecture in each degree. The "charge at closing" in the Monitor, which is different than the charges at the end of the degree conferrals, is to be given "immediately prior to the benediction", which is given only at the closing of a MM Lodge.

Thank you, that pretty much confirms my suspicions. How about the opening charge however? Do you have any insight on that?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I see nothing about the opening charge which restricts its use to a particular Lodge. AFAIK, it can be given in any of them.