My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ring

Unique3rdEye

Normally i see masonic rings on sale online or in jewlery shops and i was curious, if some one who is not apart of the Brotherhood or is about to become a mason or havent yet but bought a ring and wore it. Is that in any way a form of disrespect?

Sent from my SM-G930F using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke

Premium Member
I would see it as a form of misrepresentation for someone who knew what is was..
Would you wear a marine uniform if you were not a marine ?
A medal you had not won ?
A police uniform if you were not a policeman?
Many Freemasons would see a similar situation in someone wearing a symbol they were not entitled to wear and had not earned..

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would see it as a form of misrepresentation for someone who knew what is was..
Many Freemasons would see a similar situation in someone wearing a symbol they were not entitled to wear and had not earned..
Ditto!

Lightlife

Site Benefactor
Premium Member

I agree. I would add that many in Masonry consider the ring reserved for Master Masons and it is considered inappropriate for an Entered Apprentice or Fellowcraft to wear a ring. Once, in my mother lodge, a PM actually told (not asked) an EA with a ring to take it off

Unique3rdEye

Thank you for the feedback. I honestly saw it from that point of view and at one point before had the intention of getting one seeing them in a jewelry store but as i got older i got wiser and im glad i didnt buy it because i know with in my heart you dont just buy a ring , using your example I cant just buy a badge and say im a police officer . So i find it rude when i see people wearing the ring and making fun of something they are absolutely clueless too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using My Freemasonry mobile app

dfreybur

Premium Member
Our symbols are earned so they should not be worn as a ring. Of course if you will never be a member our approach does not apply to you, but it is definitely disrespectful.

If you have a loved one who earned his ring, it is respectful to wear it on a chain. Or to add "In loving memory" to it.

Winter

Premium Member
Our symbols are earned so they should not be worn as a ring. Of course if you will never be a member our approach does not apply to you, but it is definitely disrespectful.

If you have a loved one who earned his ring, it is respectful to wear it on a chain. Or to add "In loving memory" to it.
Would you apply the same thing to forum members using the S&C in their profile pic if they aren't Brothers? Because I have seen members on many forums who do that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

David612

In my mind the S&C in the MM configuration is also the universally recognised for the fraternity as a whole as such any member can wear a pin or whatever to display that they are a mason

Lightlife

Site Benefactor
Premium Member
In my mind the S&C in the MM configuration is also the universally recognised for the fraternity as a whole as such any member can wear a pin or whatever to display that they are a mason

You make a good point. If an EA were to wear and EA ring, I'd see no issue. However, the situation I mentioned previously was an EA wearing a MM ring.

David612

I question the definition of whether it was a “Master Mason” ring or if it is infact rather just a “Masonic ring”
A bit loose but our buildings display the S&C and they aren’t master masons-

But buildings aren’t people, right guys?

Winter

Premium Member
I question the definition of whether it was a “Master Mason” ring or if it is infact rather just a “Masonic ring”
A bit loose but our buildings display the S&C and they aren’t master masons-

But buildings aren’t people, right guys?
I realize your comment is tongue in cheek, but marking a building where Master Masons (and their Apprentices and Fellows) gather with the sign of a Master Mason is not the same as a Brother wearing the emblem of a Master when they are not yet entitled to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dfreybur

Premium Member
Would you apply the same thing to forum members using the S&C in their profile pic if they aren't Brothers? Because I have seen members on many forums who do that.

Wearing the S&C is *earned*. If you haven't earned it, wearing it is disrespectful not only to us but also to the person doing it.

The question becomes whether any one use counts as wearing it. I offered the example of carrying a ring on a chain as a memorial. Generally including a symbol on your profile picture counts as wearing it. To draw from another field it's "stolen honor" rather than "honoring principles". If someone wants to honor our principles we have petitions for them. But we aren't interested in dabblers.