The Ring

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Unique3rdEye, Oct 27, 2018.

1. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I was actually about to mention that. They aren't popular here due to the fact that A. EAs/FCs rarely, if ever, go to stated meetings because they are mostly on the MM degree which certainly doesn't encourage the newer members to come to meetings and fellowship B. The amount of time you would wear it would be as little as a day but on average, what, maybe three months?

Lightlife likes this.
  2. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Yet we can wear it the rest of our lives. I can wear my Shrine or Scottish Rite or Master Mason ring yet I mostly wear one of my PM rings. We tend to wear the ring that means the most to us which is not always the one that represents our "highest" or "farthest" degree.

3. Lightlife

Lightlife Site Benefactor Premium Member

Yes. I have many rings from different milestones but the one I wore (I no longer wear a Masonic ring) is a very plain, used, S&C ring. I like the energy of a used and well worn ring Vs. a shiny new one.

dfreybur likes this.
  4. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Very true, once an EA/FC, always such. Or at least you have the light of that degree.

5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Exactly!

6. David612

David612 Registered User

In some areas (i belive Japan is one) candidates are required to become involved with the lodge for up to a year prior to being initiated, they cook, clean, help with charitable works and so on but once initiated it can again take years to be raised to the sublime degree-
    Other jurisdictions you can rock up one weekend and “earn” 32 degrees.

Earning it seems to be a bit of a sliding scale..

7. Winter

Winter Premium Member

True. But we can't think less of our Brothers who were raised in jurisdictions with shorter periods between degrees. Our Ob. is just as binding regardless if you spent 3 years going through the degrees or a weekend Man-to-Mason class.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

David612 likes this.
  8. David612

David612 Registered User

Personally I don’t think less of them at all-
    Just when this notion that any master masons has, by virtue of his rank, earned the right to wear an S&C I must disagree-
    it’s simply reserved for masters in some jurisdictions, to claim its merit based is just a bit self-aggrandising.

9. Winter

Winter Premium Member

The West gate isn't as guarded as it should be probably. But what is the measure to tell a Master Mason, "You haven't earned that ring."

10. David612

David612 Registered User

I’m not surgesting that we tell masters to not wear a ring, rather I would encourage EA and FC to wear rings if they feel they wanted too, obviously PM rings and the like are different as they are quite specific but I’m firmly of the opinion the the S&C is the logo of the craft first and EA and FC are members of the craft.

That said there are of cause many masons who haven’t earned their rings, ranks or what have you but that isn’t their faults as they are candidates in this process- the fault becomes theirs if they don’t go back and learn and understand the work.

11. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

I'm a little torn on this sort of thing. I'm not sure it taking years and years to be a MM is the proper route. This day and age, people are different. Numbers would certainly drop leaving only many, several dozen lodges left. But theyd be good lodges im sure.

However, if one were that mentally invested in something (or fiscally with dues) they would be good, quality members vs. just paying $75.00 a year for a dues card and never even showing up in lodge. At that point it is like, what is the point of you even keeping your dues up? So you can have a masonic funeral?

12. David612

David612 Registered User

I don’t think there needs to be a time frame associated to doing the degrees really-
    I guess it just comes down to when the candidate is actually proficient in the work-

CLewey44 likes this.
  13. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

And that may be the difference in some places. Is proficiency in the work your ability to memorize something or is it the 'work' you've performed in your life, in lodge and elsewhere. But then I guess it'd be up to fellow lodge members to decide that. In other words, someone would have to make a notion to except and pass an EA to FC (for example) and maybe give reasons why.

Technically, when cat lect is given, the brethren vote on whether or not the individual was 'proficient'. (Btw, I've never seen anyone get voted no, even when I was certain they would get declined on one particular occasion. The FC was basically just repeating back the answer the questioner was saying, yes you read that correctly, the questioner would read the question, pause and then more or less just give the answer and the guy was repeating him lol)Tough to say how to gauge proficiency outside of the cat lect but I'm sure it's done or could be done in some GLs.

David612 likes this.
  14. Tpower31

Tpower31 Premium Member

I agree I bought my ring as an EA but did not wear it until I was made a Master Mason as I felt I had not earned the right or privilege to wear it and only after I became a MM did I feel I was entitled to wear such a symbol and I wear it proudly

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Mobile

Hancock and Warrior1256 like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Same here. I bought it as an EA but didn't wear it outdoors until I was an MM. I have to admit that I did sometimes wear it inside my home, lol.

Hancock, Tony_Twotones and Bloke like this.
  16. David612

David612 Registered User

I picked up a ring after being raised-
    I regularly forget to wear it, especially to lodge.

Bloke likes this.
  17. Blackstar

Blackstar Registered User

I had a student who came to school wearing the Square and Compasses on a "gold" dog tag and chain. Nobody in the school was a Freemason, but me and another coworker had a conversation with him about why you just can't wear every symbol that looks cool. He got it after we compared it to college fraternities and he never wore it to school again.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  18. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 Registered User

I think the issue is petty. It is matter of freedom of speech. In America, anyone can wear any symbol they wish at any time. Non-Masons wearing the s&c might be stupid but it is their right.

19. Blackstar

Blackstar Registered User

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences, though.

Hancock, Bloke and Warrior1256 like this.
  20. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Many states still have laws on the books that make it a misdemeanor punishable by fines or jail time to produce or wear a Masonic symbol when not entitled to it. Though I doubt it has been actually prosecuted in anyone here's lifetime!

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry