My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shrine.....

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
It sound like an AWESOME body to join....... I however am on the fence about it because the closest Lodge to me is in San Antonio...... Which is only about an hours drive.....
I would love to join but I want to be an active member....

R

ravickery03

It sound like an AWESOME body to join....... I however am on the fence about it because the closest Lodge to me is in San Antonio...... Which is only about an hours drive.....
I would love to join but I want to be an active member....

The Shrine never appealed to me for some reason, after I became an EA, I had some resentment towards the Shrine. This was because of my love of the esoteric side of Freemasonry, but that soon passed.

The Shrine was started in the 1800s partly because of the Temperance movement and the eradication of alcohol in lodge buildings. They have done wonderful things since that start, and have spawned a 100 different "funny hat societies", and are still the original and has one of the more recognized symbols.

Because I am against the grain kind of guy, I joined the Grotto (that and I don't know how long they will be around). :)

cmoreno85tx

I plan on joining the Shrine hopefully soon after I am raised. I remember being a little kid at a local parade and watching the Shriners whizzing by in their orange doom buggys and motor bikes and asking my parents how and when I could get to do that. Unfortunately ,because nobody in my family except me is a Mason, they couldn't tell me......... But I know now !!!

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I know the Shrine does great work, but it's not the avenue I will take. Scottish Rite and/or York Rite is my destination. Not that I have anything against the Shrine, just my personal preference.

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
I have heard if you join the Shrine you have to make it to so many Shrine functions a year or pay fines for not showing up, can anyone elaborate or confirm this is true?

Wingnut

Premium Member
I have heard if you join the Shrine you have to make it to so many Shrine functions a year or pay fines for not showing up, can anyone elaborate or confirm this is true?

Not at Hella. But you do get pts for recruiting members and being first/second line signers. With enough pts you dont pay dues...

R

RJS

I think the Shrine is something I want to do but later. Right now I just want to conetrate on Blue lodge.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
Not at Hella. But you do get pts for recruiting members and being first/second line signers. With enough pts you dont pay dues...

that makes more sense. works that way with a lot of appendant bodies, it would seem.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I rode down to Hella today to pay my annual dues. My only real complaint about the Shrine and being new it may just be me, but seems like its hard to get information or details about things...