My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Significance of Regularity

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As is being discussed in another thread, the GLNF and UGLE are once again in amity.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

MaineMason

As is being discussed in another thread, the GLNF and UGLE are once again in amity.

Well I'll be damned. It seems to me that that's not necessary, I thought that was hashed out a hundred years ago. Oh well...thanks for the update though.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I don't feel so as you do about women, because my great grandmother was well taken care of by the Masons when her husband died. She also had no intent to try to get into the Masons. Her husband's grave bears a square and compasses and "perpetual care". From the Masons. She was OK with that and were she alive (1892-1984) she'd be OK with it today.
I do not disagree with anything that you have said brother. My lodge also looks after the widows of its members. I have respect for everyone, women most definately included. I am simply saying that regular Masonry is a fraternal organization and, in my opinion, should stay that way.

dfreybur

Premium Member
... I thought that was hashed out a hundred years ago ...

That one was the Grand Orient in France. Still irregular.

The GNLF is the regular lineage in France. There was an explosion in their grand line a few years ago that triggered pulling recognition by many but not all jurisdictions. Eventually they expelled the person at the center of the storm and things settled down. Recognition restoration has been rolling back in.

MaineMason

That one was the Grand Orient in France. Still irregular.

The GNLF is the regular lineage in France. There was an explosion in their grand line a few years ago that triggered pulling recognition by many but not all jurisdictions. Eventually they expelled the person at the center of the storm and things settled down. Recognition restoration has been rolling back in.
Good to know, thank you for the clarification, Brother.

MaineMason

I do not disagree with anything that you have said brother. My lodge also looks after the widows of its members. I have respect for everyone, women most definately included. I am simply saying that regular Masonry is a fraternal organization and, in my opinion, should stay that way.
I agree with you, Brother.

Roy_

AmigoKZ said:
Thanks for the info! I just wanted to ask: is there any difference in, ifit's possible to say, in "masonic "skills" between regular/irregular freemason? For example, I mean, if a student goes to 'bad teacher'(musicians or painter) that 'bad teacher' will teach bad. And the student's skills will be 'bad' as result. I mean, Frenchmasons think that they are also 'true' masons. What's the difference of 'skills' of The Crafts?
I am sure that some will take this as a rant from a co-Mason, but you can ask the question about regular FM as well. Is every lodge 'good', just because it is linked to a regular organisation and is every lodge that is not by definition 'bad'? I know a FM who has little good to say about the Dutch Grand Orient even though they are regular (the man himself is of the Regular Grandlodge of Belgium). He can talk for hours what the problems are in his opinion. Or what about France. Were Grand Orient lodges 'bad' when the Grand Orient was irregular and did they suddenly become 'good' when relations with UGLE were reastablished?

In my limited experience, there are co-Masonic lodges that went astray by skipping the GAOTU (I personally see no use of FM without 'something higher'), while others think the experience is the same and the lodges are still valuable. Also I have spoken to regular FMs who seem to see just the social side of their lodge, they seem to have no clear idea about initiation or spirituality and keep talking how good it is to have global a business network. Personally I doubt I would feel at home in such a lodge, whether regular or not. Some irregular lodges seem more conservative than some regular lodges (if that says anything).

It all depends on the members, the lodges they are in contact with, etc. I think. I doubt a FM has 'skills' just because he is a regular FM or not because (s)he is not. I suppose everybody should try to find a lodge that 'fits', whether regular or irregular, for it to 'work'. Numbers show that for most people this is regular FM (in most countries), which is good, right?

As for the actual discussion of this thread, it is a more 'technical' one to me as you can see in my previous posts.

Joaben

It has nothing to do with freemasonery but with politics.
Taking this example, do you think that next day after derecognition of GLNF masons, meetings, lodges have changed at a point we are not acceptable to meet ? And The contrary when Glnf was re-recognized ? There is something totally artificial in this matter of regularity.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It has nothing to do with freemasonery but with politics.
Taking this example, do you think that next day after derecognition of GLNF masons, meetings, lodges have changed at a point we are not acceptable to meet ? And The contrary when Glnf was re-recognized ? There is something totally artificial in this matter of regularity.
How do you define "politics"? The term is often used by the losing side in a dispute who used the same competition methods, just not successfully.