The Templar Uniforms

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by KSigMason, Jul 10, 2012.

1. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

One of my favorites:

2. Bro_Vick

Bro_Vick Moderator Premium Member

Good post, but you didn't put in the part that they have now gone to the cap & mantle. ;)

The civil war uniform is standard, but the cap & mantle are also acceptable, even though I see many Sir Knights act like a super hero with it. ;)

S&F.
    -Bro Vick

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. KSigMason

Bro Vick, the cap & mantle is just one of 3 uniforms allowed today, but I wanted to focus on the primary one. I do like the Cap & Mantle uniform more than the dress uniform.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  4. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Thank you for this enlightening post!

5. Bill Hosler

Bill Hosler Registered User

In my previous Grand Commandery most Commanderies wear the standard Templar uniform or the cap and mantle but one commandery, Raper Commandery #1 still wears the old school long coat.

RaperGE2009.jpg

We also have a special unit called Levant Precipetry which wears the original Templar outfits for degree work it is very impressive especially in the order of the temple degree

LevantPreceptory1a.jpg

6. BroBill

BroBill Site Benefactor Site Benefactor

Brownwood Commandery No. 22 uses the Cap & Mantle- it's very difficult to maneuver and conduct proper sword motions with the mantle, in my humble opinion.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. KSigMason

Yeah, I could see that happen. My Commandery predominately stays with the Dress Uniform.

I do like the Levant Preceptory garb. That is pretty impressive.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  8. Bill Hosler

Bill Hosler Registered User

I personally would like too see Commanderies adopt the summer uniform if we have to stay with the military style garb. It's cheaper and more comfortable.

One time during a break in our Grand Commandery sessions we went to lunch at a deli in downtown Indy in full uniform. People kept coming to the table asking us if we were with the Salvation Army lol!

9. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I prefer the military style dress uniform with the chapeau.

Cootr68 and KSigMason like this.
  10. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

But what does ut really have to do with the historical KT?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256, KSigMason and Brother JC like this.
  11. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Nothing. In 1859 KT uniforms were standardized by the national governing body.Until then each state pretty much set their own rules. During, and for a couple of decades after, the civil war military influenced fashion. Regular clothing for both men and women had a military look to it. Also men were looking for a replacement for the comraderie they felt when in the military so fraternities sprang up with members decked out in military style uniforms, marching and drilling. The KT was no different. Today the uniform resembles that of a naval officer of the early 19th century.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    SimonM likes this.

Share My Freemasonry