My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tilers Oath

TCShelton

Founding Member
Premium Member
Brother, I have to ask. Being in the military you are surrounded by PHA. What is the reception of you?

In my military travels, I've run across mostly PHA Masons, and I get the same reception from most of them that I get from you. Keep in mind though, most of them don't realize that the GloT doesn't give full recognition, since a lot of them I meet are from up north where it isn't an issue.

I also find them to be VERY knowledgeable in their grips/modes of recognition as well.

K

Kenneth Hart

The nice folks in Zurich Switzerland didnt allow me and two others into their practice. It was the only day we had to visit. Long story actually - but the Master did give us the full tour of their Lodge buliding. If you ever get there I do suggest you tryto visit. Several lodges meet there but only one in English, the rest are either French or Swiss German.

Robert Marshall

Secretary, Waco 92
Premium Member
We had this discussion one night in lodge not to long ago. One of our bros suggested that we include it as part of the master's proficeny. It is slowly going away.

Such is the case at my Lodge. The Tiler's Oath was part of the requirements for my master's degree proficiency. We are also told that if we are ever to travel and visit another Lodge, it may very well be that they require us to recite this oath in order to prove we are who we say we are.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Has anybody actually ever witnessed a man being turned away from visiting a lodge?

Yes, a member of the FMRC can to visit my lodge when he was in town. Since I had never sat in lodge with him he had to be examined. Something Id never know or thought to even ask came out... he was a PHA mason. But we all had a great time visiting and chatting during dinner before the lodge opened.

MitchN

I think the answer of what is required by GLoT could be found in the Obligation.. 3 possibilities are listed.. with an "or" in there... that being said differnt lodges within Texas have differnt traditions and as we all know Lodges outside Texas will definatly have differnt traditions and rules...

Blake your faster than me.. took me a couple hours to get it fairly well burned in..

owls84

Premium Member
I think the answer of what is required by GLoT could be found in the Obligation.. 3 possibilities are listed.. with an "or" in there...

Well said Brother, that "or" gets forgotten a lot and we have beat this topic in the ground as to what is required to get into a Texas Lodge in the Masonic Law Forum. So, what is required from other Grand Jurisdictions?

luftx

Premium Member
We had this discussion one night in lodge not to long ago. One of our bros suggested that we include it as part of the master's proficeny. It is slowly going away.

I teach it to every student that I teach, and have them turn it in as part of their proficiency in lodge...

Robert

Payne

I have not had the opportunity to learn the Tilers oath. But I think I'll ask the brothers at the next lodge to teach it to me.

cemab4y

Premium Member
It is a good idea, to learn the Tiler's oath for the state of your residence, especially if you plan to visit other lodges in your state. Keep in mind, that the Tiler's oath, is not standardized nationally, and if you visit lodges out of state, the oath may be entirely different.

When you visit a lodge, where no one knows you, and no one can personally vouch for you, you will have to stand an examination. This examination can vary widely. The WM of the lodge you are visiting must be personally satisfied, that you are a Master Mason in good standing, before you can fellowship with his lodge.

The intensity and depth of the examination, will vary, according to the standards set by the WM of the lodge.

If you are from a "Yankee" lodge, and you visit a lodge in Georgia, they will "rake you over the coals". Some of them are still fighting the War between the States!

Smokey613

If you are from a "Yankee" lodge, and you visit a lodge in Georgia, they will "rake you over the coals". Some of them are still fighting the War between the States!

Or as some have called it.... "The War of Federal Aggression"

Last edited:

RAY

Every Lodge I have visited out of State required the Tiler's oath plus a couple of other things we all know as MM. I teach every MM the oath as it is some times necessary. I found the Southern states all were the same words but in Illinois it was a couple of words different. It will get you in most lodges and was always the first thing ask for when examined. I am very surprised at the people here that don't know it and never heard of it before. I strongly advise you Brothers to learn it .

ddreader

Premium Member
Premium Member
in Texas you can examine an ea, or a fc, or a mm, now then what if you were to examine an ea or a fc ,and you left the other parts out, would you think that would be allowed or not? if not why?

RAY

in Texas you can examine an ea, or a fc, or a mm, now then what if you were to examine an ea or a fc ,and you left the other parts out, would you think that would be allowed or not? if not why?
I am not sure I understand what your trying to say. First a Texas Masons visiting other "Texas" lodges is not required to be examined . A paid up dues card and picture ID is all thats required,however if the SD or other members are not satisified they can do futher examination.
Ea's and FC's have a dues card good for a year and usually if these brothers attend another lodge are with there instructor or MM from there lodge and are not examined because they can be vouched for. We try to take our new masons to there respective degrees so they can see and learn a little faster and understand there degree a little better.

ddreader

Premium Member
Premium Member
yes you are correct i/we do that also it works great, i was just wandering about the Tyler's oath. if they were to show up by themselves, would you be willing to break it down like that if you had the chance. and should we teach it to them. and just add each level as they progress?