My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tour of the UGLE

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
So a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit the UGLE, as a tourist at least, and one of the things that caught my attention was just how hush hush people are when you casually ask if they're a Freemason or not. Here in the the states Brethren will show off rings or slap bumper stickers on their vehicles without much fanfare, however in the UK, you better be prepared to be tested.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to visit the UGLE, as a tourist at least, and one of the things that caught my attention was just how hush hush people are when you casually ask if they're a Freemason or not. Here in the the states Brethren will show off rings or slap bumper stickers on their vehicles without much fanfare, however in the UK, you better be prepared to be tested.
I agree we are more circumspect in England about our Masonry, but less so in Scotland. I've never seen the silly testing we allude to in this board.

Mike Martin

Eternal Apprentice
Premium Member
Well now my feelings are hurt. You came to my place of employment and didn't come to see me while you were here :(

Generally in our Lodges we only "test" someone who has come along to a Lodge meeting with no one present to vouch for them or someone from a foreign Grand Lodge as we like to see their "signs" and how they differ from ours.

However, the "bling" statement isn't really accurate as I have over the years seen guys wearing multiple rings, watch chain fobs and badges (pins in US) bith here and at meetings in the Provinces.