Traveling

Discussion in 'Recommended Reading' started by Travelling Man91, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

When approaching a guy in public that you believe may be a mason, do you think "street masonry" or book catch e kisms are more appropriate to find out ?

2. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I do not think obscure methods are appropriate on the street. Just ask if the man is a brother Mason.

Leave the dues card and knowledge demonstration to the investigating committee in the tiler's room.

3. Travelling Man91

So you just take a guys word without seeing his dues card ?

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Why do you need to see his dues card? Are you conversing on the secrets of Freemasonry? What if it is a GL which doesn't use dues cards?

5. Travelling Man91

I'm just getting other brother opinions. I've never heard of a GL not using dues cards

6. Travelling Man91

Well seeing his dues card would verify that he is a brother in good standing, verses just taking his word.

7. Glen Cook

A
    UGLE doesn't use dues cards. How do you know what his jurisdiction's cards look like?Why do you feel you need to confirm he is a Mason? I fail to see a reason for doing so outside of lodge. These questions come across as curt. They aren't meant that way, but an attempt to figure out why this is thought to be an issue.

I will tell you, that if someone tells me they need to see my dues card outside of lodge, I don't know that I would be cooperative.

8. Travelling Man91

Never thought of it in that context. I see what you are saying. Say you met a guy on the street that was trying to hold a Masonic conversation, how do you verify his membership ? Because he could be in an clandestine lodge.

9. Glen Cook

What is a Masonic conversation? Do you mean to converse on the secrets of Freemasonry? Why would you be doing this outside of lodge?

10. Travelling Man91

Not so much on secrets, as it would be just throwing out a little catch e kisms

11. Glen Cook

How would it be different than what is being done on this forum?

12. Travelling Man91

Because there are questions you can ask and if a mason is who he say he is, then he should know what you talking about

13. Glen Cook

For my purposes, I have no need to determine if he is a Mason outside the Lodge, and I suspect you don't really need to do so.

LAMason likes this.
  14. Travelling Man91

So do you not ever grip a brothers hand outside the lodge ?

15. Glen Cook

i don't see a need to do so. I suspect your response is that you want to be able to ask him questions that prove he's a Mason for no particular reason other than to ask him questions to prove he's a Mason for no reason other than to ask him questions to prove he's a Mason.

BullDozer Harrell and LAMason like this.
  16. Travelling Man91

I don't question a guy just to question him, but you have to be careful who you talk to in regards to masonry because here in the states there are a lot of imposters

17. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

If I see someone with a Masonic ring or emblem, I may ask what Lodge they belong to and invite them to Lodge, but beyond that I do not consider it necessary to pursue it. If they do take me up on visiting they will be properly tried prior to admission.

How I conduct myself and treat a stranger is not dependent on whether or not he is a Freemason.

18. Travelling Man91

I agree. That's not what I was asking. The question was if you meet a guy on the street and he claims to be a mason, how do you verify his membership ?

19. Glen Cook

How many people here on this board have you proved? (None). Yet, you continue to talk to them about Masonic matters. Indeed, you don't know if I'm a Mason.

20. Travelling Man91

Yes, but I'm not asking about this forum. I'm asking in regards to meeting a guy on the street. Face to face

Share My Freemasonry