My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UGLE

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
Out of curiosity, Who chartered the Grand Lodge Of England? If a thread of this sort have been discuss feel free to point me to that thread.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
The warring Grand Lodged of the Antients and Moderns invented it through a merger.

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
As I was doing research it states the first Englishman to become a SPECULATIVE mason was Elias Ashmole in the 1600's. But that was before the UGLE which was in 1717. It then goes on to mention that Four Lodges created UGLE, unfortunately nobody know about these four lodges names.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry Pro

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
Just the response I needed, but what I'm ultimately getting to is because they refused to name these lodges so we can trace their so called heritage. It comes to the question. Was UGLE every really chartered? Then we have to ask who was the original lodge or lodges to put a charter into play. Which will dismiss the irregular factor? Just random questions and pondering thoughts my Brothers.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Just the response I needed, but what I'm ultimately getting to is because they refused to name these lodges so we can trace their so called heritage. It comes to the question. Was UGLE every really chartered? Then we have to ask who was the original lodge or lodges to put a charter into play. Which will dismiss the irregular factor? Just random questions and pondering thoughts my Brothers.

GLs aren't necessarily chartered. They may be formed by three or more regular lodges.

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
I understand your concept about those lodges. A great article by the way, it still lack the most important feature. Evidence. They use the phrase "time immemorial" and in some cases telling us just to have "faith" that these three lodges are connected to another grand lodge or they don't need a warrant or charter because their so ancient. Very interesting debate. Thank you for leading me to that article.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Actually, they may not have had a charter/warrant, or it may have been from another lodge. Let's say they weren't chartered. So?

Bloke

Premium Member
I understand your concept about those lodges. A great article by the way, it still lack the most important feature. Evidence. They use the phrase "time immemorial" and in some cases telling us just to have "faith" that these three lodges are connected to another grand lodge or they don't need a warrant or charter because their so ancient. Very interesting debate. Thank you for leading me to that article.

Thanks Glenn, that's interesting, esp "The first warrants were issued in 1731 by the Grand Lodge of Ireland (1 February 1731 for Mitchelstown, Co. Cork. That was a feature of the noted revival of Irish freemasonry under the Grand Mastership of Originally in England there operated an ad hoc arrangement of issuing letters of ‘Deputation’. "

It's clear "warrants" were a "modern thing", and Grand Lodge of London and Westminster which became Premier GL England then UGLE did not just start issuing them .... indeed even here in Australia in the 1850's, under the tyranny of distance you had unwarranted lodges of regular Freemasons being naughty and making Freemasons...

On a wider "fraternal' note, it was interesting the Buffaloes issued "dispensations" - our equivalent of a warrant.

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
So, the mind frame of irregular and regular concept has to be destroyed to say the least. (Even though that's not going to happen) I have only been a Master Mason for a couple of months if not that. I love the craft at a early age, but I see many downsides that breaks up a UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD. This is cause number one. It could be broken if we all meet on the level, and act upright.

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
Thanks Glenn, that's interesting, esp "The first warrants were issued in 1731 by the Grand Lodge of Ireland (1 February 1731 for Mitchelstown, Co. Cork. That was a feature of the noted revival of Irish freemasonry under the Grand Mastership of Originally in England there operated an ad hoc arrangement of issuing letters of ‘Deputation’. "

It's clear "warrants" were a "modern thing", and Grand Lodge of London and Westminster which became Premier GL England then UGLE did not just start issuing them .... indeed even here in Australia in the 1850's, under the tyranny of distance you had unwarranted lodges of regular Freemasons being naughty and making Freemasons...

On a wider "fraternal' note, it was interesting the Buffaloes issued "dispensations" - our equivalent of a warrant.
Correct, and if that's the case who are UGLE to say who is recognize or not when it's evident they really don't know either. This goes for every other Masonic organization that links with another body.

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
1) UGLE was created by the two warring GLs - Antients and Moderns - in the early 19th century; not 1717.
2) The four lodges were referenced by the ale-house, tavern, etc. they met in.
3) Regularity is an innovation, from what I understand.

Bloke

Premium Member
Correct, and if that's the case who are UGLE to say who is recognize or not when it's evident they really don't know either. This goes for every other Masonic organization that links with another body.

As Coach says, "UGLE was created by the two warring GLs - Antients and Moderns" when those differences were settled and they created a new standard of recognition which many regular GLs use, even the ones in the States. That said, every GL, "regular" or "irregular" are sovereign entities - recognition only matters when you want to visit outside your own jurisdiction..

Bloke

Premium Member
So, the mind frame of irregular and regular concept has to be destroyed to say the least...I have only been a Master Mason for a couple of months if not that. I love the craft at a early age, but I see many downsides that breaks up a UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD. This is cause number one. It could be broken if we all meet on the level, and act upright.

I think the idea of "regular" and "irregular" is legitimate.. if there was no concept of regularity, we might, for instance have 12 year old Freemasons or Freemasons who are convicted murderers.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor

1. You are applying today's Masonic jurisprudence to acts of three hundred years ago. Just like the civil law, Masonic law evolves. The principles of recognition were first pronounced some two hundred years after the founding of the Premier GL.

2. UGLE is not the arbiter of regularity. Indeed, CGMNA and UGLE GLs do not have an identical recognition list.

JM-MWPHGLGA

Premium Member
All great answers. Nothing like good education concerning Masonic talk. There has to be a beginning , I just can't connect the dots of what was the real origin? Who warrant those warring Grand lodges? I hope I'm not sounding to far fetch. But eventually we have to start from some where.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
All great answers. Nothing like good education concerning Masonic talk. There has to be a beginning , I just can't connect the dots of what was the real origin? Who warrant those warring Grand lodges? I hope I'm not sounding to far fetch. But eventually we have to start from some where.

No one warranted those grand lodges. Grand lodges don't have to be chartered or warranted. They may be formed by three or more regular lodges.

We don't know the real origin of speculative Freemasonry. We can point to Elias Ashmole's admission; we have the 16th C records from Scotland.

Recommend you read Freemasons for Dummies (that is not a reflection on you) and take the Master Craftsman Course through AASR-SJ.

Last edited: