My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under the protection from what?

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Our lodge is chartered under The Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida PHA and it reads as any legitimate charter dose that I have seen but one thing catches my eye , it says we are working under the protection of the said grand lodge , my question is what are we being protected from ?? My guess is it's is there for legal purposes or could it possibly go back to the old days can anyone shed more light on the subject why exactly was this written into the charters

Bloke

Premium Member
Might "protection" be a reference to old royal charters given to organisations such as guilds with saw them under protection of the king ?

GKA

Premium Member
I believe that that referes to the protection from the deterioration of our ritual by insuring that all lodges under said direction conform to the same ritual practice

Mindovermatter Ace

This is funny. Protection I think relates more to sickness, distress, and assistance

It is also attributed to allegiance and obedience.

When a Mason takes his obligation he is swearing allegiance and obedience to the Grand Lodge. In return he gains the protection of the Grand Lodge.

Aaron Christopher
Cervantes #5
Grand Lodge of Louisiana F&AM

dfreybur

Premium Member
Obligations are always mutual. When your lodge is in obedience to a jurisdiction, that jurisdiction is there to protect your lodge.

From what? No idea. To me it's one of the many vocabulary lessons taught at lodge. I learned a quarry of words at lodge.