My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Urban or Rural Lodge?

Are you a member of an urban or rural lodge?

• Urban

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Rural

Votes: 27 38.6%
  • Both

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

jwhoff

Premium Member
Both of my lodges are suburban. It's hard to call them urban when you can see downtown 30 miles away (on a clear day.) They definitely can't be called rural with 750,000 people around. I have pretty much the same mix at Brother Rhitland. But I think it has more to do with Texas than demographics.

Timothy Fleischer

Alright after I voted I thought about it and you know Taylor is no longer a rural community. So the poll is off by one :(. Ding fries are done.

Taylor is still a rural community, in my opinion, and in possession of one of the best barbecue joints in Texas, if not the entire free world. Louis Muellers rocks!

Mac

Premium Member
I'd like to visit a rural lodge eventually. Once we're done celebrating being done with school, I might take a Texas road trip and try to hit as many meetings/events as I can. ;)

Bill Hosler

I was raised in a big city lodge in Indiana. I have transferred my membership to a rural lodge in Oklahoma. Still getting used to the differences.

jwhoff

Premium Member
I guess it depends upon your view.

One of my lodges, surrounded by 3/4MM people is often fondly talked of as a "Country Lodge" by some of the brethren who belong there. I take that as a statement upon their feelings of suburbia rather than reality.

All's good.

OxfordNY175

rural

My home lodge is VERY rural. Oxford is a small town of around 1500 people. I do visit urban lodges in my district and both have their own charm. I do prefer rural Lodges if i had to make a choice but really it is not a big deal.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
Urban, but if you were blindfolded en route to the lodge and didn't ask what the fellas do for a livin you'd be hard pressed to know it - small, tight knit, and down home atmosphere :)

Could be because we rent our space from our local Shrine center, and a whole bunch of us are Shriners.

STLamb

I belong to both, but I base it more on "feel" than location. In my "rural" lodge in Hitchcock, we've had some great conversations about birthing calves, ornery horses, beekeeping, and tractors. Doesn't get much more rural than that, even if we are technically a suburb. My urban lodge is in Galveston, and I love it too. There we talk about local events, history, and things of that nature. I really love having the best of both worlds. I have found that lodges are very much like people, and each one has it's own personality to celebrate.