My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Views on a Travelling Entered Apprentice

Have you visited other Lodges as an EA and/or FC?

• Yes - As an Entered Apprentice

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Yes - As a Fellow Craft

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Yes - As an EA and FC

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • No - But would recommend it

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No - And wouldn't recommend it

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Yes - And wouldn't recommend it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scialytic

Premium Member
I have the great honor of being Initiated into the Brotherhood next Wednesday. Shortly after I will be travelling to Austin then D.C. on business. What are the views/rules for an EA attending Lodge that has opened in the EA?

I would imagine that I would have to be proficient enough to be recognized as an EA. Are there any restrictions that I need to be aware of? I plan to talk with my Mentor about it on Monday, but thought I'd reach out to my other Mentors when it came to mind. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

:34:Graham:34:

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I have the great honor of being Initiated into the Brotherhood next Wednesday. Shortly after I will be travelling to Austin then D.C. on business. What are the views/rules for an EA attending Lodge that has opened in the EA?

I would imagine that I would have to be proficient enough to be recognized as an EA. Are there any restrictions that I need to be aware of? I plan to talk with my Mentor about it on Monday, but thought I'd reach out to my other Mentors when it came to mind. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Do it! Especially if the lodge you are visiting is putting on an EA degree. Have your EA dues card with you and know your lodge name, number and street address in case they want to verify the lodge. Just introduce yourself and let them take care of getting you signed in.

It's very useful to watch an EA degree while you're learning your EA work. Plus, you get to meet some more brethren!

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
I went to three EA degrees while I was an EA. It really helps with your memory work. Good luck my friend, trust the brothers to help you at every step, and above all, enjoy the journey you are about to begin!

chrmc

I didn't have the chance to travel myself as an EA, but would recommend it. Extending your fraternal relations and masonic knowledge is a tenant of freemasonry, so take the chance for sure.

BEDickey

Premium Member
I myself traveled to many lodges in my state as an EA, FC and now as a MM, because of that was able to see the degrees with in days of receiving them myself. It was invaluable help in learning my material. Just make sure you have all the info the Brothers here have stressed and know your lesson.

Michael Hatley

Premium Member
I did.

I think visiting specifically to see other EA degrees would be good, and worthwhile. It does indeed help in memory retention.

But personally speaking, I would avoid general meetings in other lodges until a Master Mason. The biggest reason is so that I make sure to make the best possible impression as a representative of my lodge. That is important to me.

There is also the bit about untempered mortar. Again, personally speaking, I tried to show a certain respect to the position of EA and FC to keep it close to my mother lodge and wait for the broader experience until I had progressed. I think it helped me to focus on the goal, the memory work, and gave me a larger "reward" and incentive to look forward to.

I think a lot of folks get stuck enroute from EA to FC. It isn't interest in the fraternity or the symbolism, or the history or any of that that is the largest impediment. It is the memory work. I think one reason is that a month or two after initiation that it starts getting looked at as a chore, and that part of the reason why is that the EAs are already participating in a lot of masonry and so the work starts getting looked at as a bit of a hassle to get over with. And then if a few more months go by the EA starts feeling embarassed they aren't making more progress. And it builds into a vicious cycle.

So the advice I'd give any EA, even one as bright and driven as you, would be - focus like a laser on the memory work. Be indefatigable about it. Don't put it off for a single day. And any part of time you spend in masonry make sure is to reinforce that. The socializing, adventuring in different lodges, the diving into history and all of that awaits you throughout your lifetime. But for now keep your eye obsessively on the ball.

Just my take bro, every man is different. I'm easily distracted and have a poor memory, I had to approach it this way, you may not.

scialytic

Premium Member
That is a very interesting point. I wasn't expecting that...but there is definitely wisdom there. After hearing your thoughts, the Austin trip may be pushing it. Being in a hotel without family is the perfect time for me to focus like a crazed boar.

My D.C trip will be pretty soon after, but I'm going to look into that a little more. If I get on it early enough I may be able to find an amazingly old Lodge with great character. I'm going to the GW Masonic Museum this trip. (I also have a fallen brother we lost in Iraq to visit at Arlington...) I travel to D.C. a few times a year. Anything else I should try to catch this trip?

One of my Lodge's Officers (hopefully my Mr. Miyagi) is a DDGM, so I'm going to talk with him about it. He may have a Lodge he has to visit that is putting on a Degree...who knows? You do have a great point though. I'll be able to witness, and eventually Work, all three Degrees in due-time...

Well that is some pretty well-rounded advice from all of you. I really appreciate it. (Did I mention this is the greatest forum ever?)

Anybody have some interesting stories when they went? Where was some of the best Degree Work you've seen in any of your travels? Done any outdoor Degrees or the Alamo? I wish I could be at the one in Corpus Christi. That Florida one looks pretty interesting too. See...plenty of opportunities!

KSigMason

Traveling Templar
Site Benefactor
While I was working my way up through my EA and FC, I traveled to many Lodges in the area.

mattcaler

I visited Lebanon Lodge in Frisco as an EA and watched them put on 4 EA Degrees one night. That helped me TREMENDOUSLY in my memory work. As tempted as you may be to visit a lodge in D.C. I would recommend you abstain. The degree work is different in other states and this could hurt you while you are still progressing in your work. The WM at our lodge when I was initiated as an EA is originally from Virginia and he STRONGLY advised against going outside of Texas until you finish all your Blue Lodge degrees in Texas. He said that Virginia was vastly different and as specific as all the wording has to be for you to pass proficiency you would not want to be mixing the 2 while you are still in the process of learning it all.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
I wouldn't travel around just to visit lodges (issue of time and gasoline), but if I happen to know that I would be away from home on a night of a meeting, I would try to make arrangements.

scialytic

Premium Member
Good points. I'd imagine most Stated Meetings open in the MM Degree. In DC I was thinking more about seeing the architecture and Lodge internally. Maybe I can arrange for a visit while the Lodge is not Working. That's probably what I'll do. I'll work with RW Hefley and see what he's got going on in the District. That way if there are any differences (which I doubt there would be) he can let me know. He'll also be able to keep that good image of our Lodge by keeping me in check.

You guys have really helped me out. Thanks again!

jwhoff

Premium Member
Yes, I traveled as both EA and FC. In Texas you must go with a MM of your lodge. Both times the MM made sure the visited lodge was either holding a degree on or would open on the degree I possessed. It's a great way for the candidate to envision the work he is learning. I found it most helpful.

scialytic

Premium Member
That is a rule I need to know. Thanks! :)

I just sent RW Hefley an email. We'll get it worked out.

Last edited:

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Good points. I'd imagine most Stated Meetings open in the MM Degree. In DC I was thinking more about seeing the architecture and Lodge internally. Maybe I can arrange for a visit while the Lodge is not Working. That's probably what I'll do. I'll work with RW Hefley and see what he's got going on in the District. That way if there are any differences (which I doubt there would be) he can let me know. He'll also be able to keep that good image of our Lodge by keeping me in check.

You guys have really helped me out. Thanks again!

While you're in D.C. and if you have time, you should go see the George Washington Masonic Memorial. If I remember correctly, some of your initiation fees go there- but my mind has grown fuzzy. Anyhow, regardless of whether or not a portion of your fees go there, it's well worth the time to visit. Check out it's website at Welcome to the George Washington Masonic Memorial

A visit there might mean more to you than visiting a lodge as an EA. Just a thought.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Yes, I traveled as both EA and FC. In Texas you must go with a MM of your lodge. Both times the MM made sure the visited lodge was either holding a degree on or would open on the degree I possessed. It's a great way for the candidate to envision the work he is learning. I found it most helpful.

Thanks for that reminder. It's been a while and as I said in another post, my mind grows fuzzy. It makes sense to travel with a MM, and when I traveled I did. But I cannot for the life of me remember whether they ever told me it was required. It's good info though, thanks!

jwhoff

Premium Member
I must clarify.

You should travel with a master mason who knows you; most often by having been there the night you received your degree. Whether or not he is a member of your particular lodge. The logic here is that you are cautioned not to identify yourself as an EA or FC to any other than those present.

This was difficult on me. I lost several family members and old friends in my life during the four months it took from my initiation to my raising. I wanted to tell them so bad but, in the end, lost the opportunity.

scialytic

Premium Member
Interesting, so as a Texas EA or FC you are not to inform or imply to others (even MMs outside your Lodge) that you are working through the Degrees? I guess I'll learn more on Wednesday. I will be sure to visit only with those in my Lodge I trust...mainly Mentors (one of whom I mentioned actually signed my petition: my "Mr. Miyagi"). I have been attending Lodge dinners for about four months now and have been to several events with members of the Lodge (including the Installation of Officers where my wife and I got to spend a good 15 minutes chatting with PGM Elmer Murphy, III--AMAZING experience--that was a beautiful ceremony!). It has been a very warm and welcoming experience so far...and expect a lot more of that! Thanks for the tips. They are always welcome! :)

Last edited:

Brent Heilman

Premium Member
I traveled to another Lodge while I was an FC to watch an EA being done. Several of the Brothers at my Lodge also do some degree work for some of the surrounding areas so I have had the chance to travel quite a bit. Sadly though there was only once when I could actually make it. I would use this time to take some tours and check out the sites. Watching degree work outside Texas may throw you off. I can't say for sure it would do that, but why take the chance. There is always other opportunities to take advantage of. While in DC take a tour of the House of the Temple also.