My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting Lodges

nfasson

I recently visited a local Lodge on their Visitor's Night and enjoyed meeting everyone and getting a feel for things. The Lodge is gigantic and I'm just not sure if it would be better to be a member of a big Lodge or a smaller one.

I'd like to visit other Lodges in the area to see whats out there, but I don't want to offend the Mason I contacted who hosted my coming to his Lodge. What should I do?

Freemason Connect HD

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Big or small, it must fit. You need to feel at home at the lodge you choose or you won't frequent it as much as needed to progress through the degrees. I am sure he wont mind, we want to grow our fraternity with good men, not run them off.

Last edited:

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'd like to visit other Lodges in the area to see whats out there, but I don't want to offend the Mason I contacted who hosted my coming to his Lodge. What should I do?

Visit other local lodges. There will be no offense taken. Any brother can recommend his own lodge but we understand men have their own viewpoints and other lodges may work better for them.

Larry48

Premium Member
For Lodges in Texas Only, what does your lodge require one to show or do to visit a MM stated meeting?

dfreybur

Premium Member
For Lodges in Texas Only, what does your lodge require one to show or do to visit a MM stated meeting?

Not any different from other lodges in the US and any other country that uses dues cards.

A committee will be appointed to check your dues card. They will check your jurisdiction and lodge against the list in their book of recognized lodges. They will check the expiration date on your dues card. They will show you their dues cards. How much further testing is up to them. There's a test oath that can be read out of the book - Memorizing a test oath was part of the third degree proficiency in my mother jurisdiction so the times I've asked I've recited that version. They may ask to exchange parts of how to tell. They may conduct a refresher course in what you need for the meeting as long as you know enough.

Of course you get to chose to test them as well so the degree of testing usually goes with how comfortable you are about your knowledge. If they put you through enough you can insist on having them show you their charter. The goal is to make sure everyone is clear that everyone is regular and recognized.

JJones

I haven't attended many large lodges but I'd expect it to be more difficult to work through the chairs due to more people wanting to do so. Other than that it's just a matter of personal taste and finding a lodge that suits you best.