My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting lodges.

Brandon B

Quick question. I was raised back in August and would like to visit some local lodges for degrees. I've never been tried. What should I expect and or have with me for this process.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry mobile app

CLewey44

I probably shouldn't say this on here but it's sort of a 'shame on them' sort of thing. I've visited seven or eight lodges over the last few years and never once have I been tried. I've had my dues card checked only twice. Granted, some of those visits were after I had sat in lodge with some of the present brothers but they never tried me before when I initially met them. I almost wanted to be tried. I've sat in as a witness while trying a visitor. That was interesting. I would ask one of your brothers at your lodge to see the protocol on that. I would imagine each state is different.

HoldenMonty

Since you don't have your dues card yet I would ask a brother that was in the Lodge when you were raised to go with you so they can vouch for you, and they could be tried if somebody in the Lodge you visit doesn't know them. I would also ask somebody from your Lodge as to what questions they ask and the correct answer. I would say but I'm not 100% comfortable explaining it here since I'm not as seasoned as others but since you have been raised the questions they ask shouldn't be to tough to answer or remember.

As to the dues card thing I would send an e-mail to your Lodge's secretary or at the next stated meeting ask your secretary about your dues card. I bugged mine about it until he told me that our jurisdiction/our lodge are in the process of switching systems that the secretaries use and I was the first one he put into the new system so I had to be patient. I ended up giving him my dues for next year to that way I don't have to remember to save out that money for when Christmas shopping comes. I ended up getting my dues card in the mail yesterday which I'm pretty excited about. Because in my jurisdiction the first thing they are suppose to ask for is your dues card before the examination begins and I felt like how can I truly prove that I'm a MM in good standing without my dues card.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
As to the dues card thing I would send an e-mail to your Lodge's secretary or at the next stated meeting ask your secretary about your dues card. I bugged mine about it until he told me that our jurisdiction/our lodge are in the process of switching systems that the secretaries use and I was the first one he put into the new system so I had to be patient. I ended up giving him my dues for next year to that way I don't have to remember to save out that money for when Christmas shopping comes. I ended up getting my dues card in the mail yesterday which I'm pretty excited about. Because in my jurisdiction the first thing they are suppose to ask for is your dues card before the examination begins and I felt like how can I truly prove that I'm a MM in good standing without my dues card.
Some jurisdictions, like mine, require you to return the MM proficiency after being raised in order to get your dues card.

I was raised in June '13 on an emergent and the lodge went dark for the summer. I did not 'test out' until September so I had to wait till then to get my dues card.

I'm wondering if the Brother posting this thread is just unaware of protocol for his jurisdiction.

dfreybur

Premium Member
We get into lodge by taking our degrees. This tends to use the word strict.

We get into lodge by swearing a tiler's oath. For many jurisdictions that's part of the proficiency. For others it's repeat after me. This tends to use the word examination. You're supposed to have a dues card for this so it doesn't appear to be an option for you at this time.

We get into lodge by being vouched for. This tends to use the word legal. Any brother who has been in a tiled meeting with you can vouch for you.

CLewey44

Some jurisdictions, like mine, require you to return the MM proficiency after being raised in order to get your dues card.

I was raised in June '13 on an emergent and the lodge went dark for the summer. I did not 'test out' until September so I had to wait till then to get my dues card.

I'm wondering if the Brother posting this thread is just unaware of protocol for his jurisdiction.

Oklahoma does something similar. You don't HAVE to turn in the MM cat lec but if you want to be an officer you do. You also need to turn it in if you plan on joining YR or SR pretty quickly, otherwise, you have to wait either 6 months or 12 months before you can join them.