My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Visiting New York from England

J. Hartshorne

Good evening Brethren,

I am requesting some assistance regarding visiting New York later this year.

My wife and I are hoping to visit New York City for 5 or 6 days in October 2016. Although nothing is booked yet I am looking to fly out somewhere between the 10th and the 30th.

I would like to know if it would be possible to visit a Masonic social event and/or visit a local Masonic Hall or Temple, both where I could include my wife.

If there are any recommendations with regard to accommodation that would also be very welcome.

If it helps in any way with regard to my query; I work within the Law Enforcement/Criminal Justice System in England and have done for over 25 years. I am also a Royal Navy veteran.

thankyou,

W. Bro. John Hartshorne.
P.P.G. Supt. Wks

Rectitude Lodge No 4383
Province of Yorkshire West Riding
United Grand Lodge of England

chrmc

Go see the Grand Lodge of New York for sure. They have daily tours, and you can just walk in. Amazing building.
I'd also try and check the GL of NY's website to see if there are any lodges meeting when you're there. If you can catch a degree it'll be more fun than than a Stated meeting.

R

Ressam

Gentlemen,
why Grand Lodge of California is located in San Francisco, not in LA?!

dfreybur

Premium Member
Gentlemen,
why Grand Lodge of California is located in San Francisco, not in LA?!

It's where the oldest lodges are.

So Cal folks like going to SF more than No Cal folks like going to LA.

The building looks cool on a hill and there are no hills near the center of LA.

Less smog.

R

Ressam

It's where the oldest lodges are.

So Cal folks like going to SF more than No Cal folks like going to LA.

The building looks cool on a hill and there are no hills near the center of LA.

Less smog.

Thank you, Mr.Doug!

acjohnson53

use to live in SoCal, Live in NoCal different atmosphere, people are nicer, laid back attitude and approachable......

acjohnson53

I am proud to say that I am a member of one of the oldest lodges in California, Philomathean Lodge #2, in Sacramento, California

dfreybur

Premium Member
Another factor for why GLofCA is in SF not LA - GLofCA was founded in 1850. At that time SF was already a large city for its era.

At the time LA was small. In fact activity in So Cal was centered on San Gabriel at that time. San Gabriel is now one of many LA suburbs.