My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about the processes of Independence of the Americas?

Mark89

It is known that the founding fathers of the United States of America, such as George Washington, were initiated into the mysteries of Freemasonry. In the case of Gran Colombia (Initially formed by present-day Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador) they had freemasons like Simón Bolivar and Francisco de Paula Santander, the former Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata (now Argentina) had José de San Martin, while Chile had Bernardo O'Higgins, missing yet many other examples to mention.

After this brief introduction, I appeal to you to give the opinion that deserves the emancipation of the Americas with respect to the Masonic principles, that is to say: Was it a coincidence that the liberators were freemasons? or was the fact of being Freemasons a determining factor in initiating the liberation from the oppression of that time?

I thank you in advance for reading this message and participating in it.

Handshake between Simon Bolivar and José de San Martin.jpg

Handshake between Simon Bolivar (Gran Colombia) and José de San Martin (Argentina)

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
It is known that the founding fathers of the United States of America, such as George Washington, were initiated into the mysteries of Freemasonry.
Only some but not all!
...After this brief introduction, I appeal to you to give the opinion that deserves the emancipation of the Americas with respect to the Masonic principles, that is to say: Was it a coincidence that the liberators were freemasons?
Yes.
...or was the fact of being Freemasons a determining factor in initiating the liberation from the oppression of that time?
It contributed, however, what occurred in all of these instances would have occurred with or without Freemasons or the organization.

These "aforementioned yet undisclosed" principles are universal; they are not exclusive to Freemasonry or any other organization!

Elexir

It is known that the founding fathers of the United States of America, such as George Washington, were initiated into the mysteries of Freemasonry. In the case of Gran Colombia (Initially formed by present-day Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador) they had freemasons like Simón Bolivar and Francisco de Paula Santander, the former Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata (now Argentina) had José de San Martin, while Chile had Bernardo O'Higgins, missing yet many other examples to mention.

After this brief introduction, I appeal to you to give the opinion that deserves the emancipation of the Americas with respect to the Masonic principles, that is to say: Was it a coincidence that the liberators were freemasons? or was the fact of being Freemasons a determining factor in initiating the liberation from the oppression of that time?

I thank you in advance for reading this message and participating in it.

View attachment 6236
Handshake between Simon Bolivar (Gran Colombia) and José de San Martin (Argentina)

The decleration of independence was only signed by a few masons and many non-masons.

Mostly inspired by the enlightment in general and not just freemasonry.

Was it a coincidence that they where freemasons?

Yes. They could have been anyone.
Looking at the USA, Thomas Paine was against freemasonry.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
It wasn't coincidence. It's more of a convergence because the same type of men who would have been interested in politics would have been interested in Freemasonry, not only its teachings but because respected community leaders at the time joined the fraternity.

Both things are branches off the same tree - the Enlightenment.

Nine of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and 13 signers of the U.S. Constitution were Freemasons.
Of the five authors of the Declaration of Independence, three were Freemasons. Primary author Thomas Jefferson and John Adams were not. Benjamin Franklin, Robert Livingston, and Roger Sherman were.
Much of the Declaration is based off the writings of John Locke. He was not a Freemason because he died 13 years before the formation of the fraternity.
Much of the Constitution is based off the writings of Montesquieu. He was a Freemason.

Is it a coincidence that I am a Freemason and a U.S. Government/U.S. History teacher? No. Both appeal to me, so I actively take part in them.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
The decleration of independence was only signed by a few masons and many non-masons.

Mostly inspired by the enlightment in general and not just freemasonry.

Was it a coincidence that they where freemasons?

Yes. They could have been anyone.
Looking at the USA, Thomas Paine was against freemasonry.

Thomas Paine was pretty well despised. He probably got black balled more than once. When he died, essentially no one came to his funeral. There was no civic procession. He was even denied burial in the cemetery he specifically requested in his will. It was written that death was his only friend.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Is it a coincidence that I am a Freemason and a U.S. Government/U.S. History teacher? No. Both appeal to me, so I actively take part in them.
I am a history lover myself but purely as an amateur.
Thomas Paine was pretty well despised. He probably got black balled more than once. When he died, essentially no one came to his funeral. There was no civic procession. He was even denied burial in the cemetery he specifically requested in his will. It was written that death was his only friend.
I didn't know this.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Both things are branches off the same tree - the Enlightenment.

We say we were founded by kings Solomon and Hiram. Yet we have elected our leaders since before the foundation of the Grand Lodge system. Clearly some internal revolution or evolution happened at some point.

It was natural for the historical phase humanity was in, and is still in, to overthrown kings and give the people the vote. It was natural that Masons would be involved in this process where ever it happened and where ever it still happens.