What does the free masons have to do with templars?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by ColeStonebraker, Mar 26, 2013.

1. ColeStonebraker

ColeStonebraker Registered User

Are we the modern day Templars? Just curious if we have any relation to them

2. Vitriol Knight

Vitriol Knight Registered User

Wow. The age of instant information; you could google it.

Freemason Connect Premium App

3. Vitriol Knight

Vitriol Knight Registered User

Where are you traveling from?

Freemason Connect Premium App

4. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Probably not. I'd suggest you read "The Rosslyn Hoax" by Robert L.D. Cooper.

5. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It all depends on who you ask, where you look, and what you believe.

6. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar Site Benefactor

A great book. Another is "Compasses and the Cross" by Stephen Dafoe.

7. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

8. Colby K

Colby K Premium Member

Read "born in blood"

9. chrmc

chrmc Registered User

But just remember that it is disputed as having very little to back up the claims, by most scholars.

The longer answer to your question is very little historical material exist to support that the Freemasons and the Templars have anything to do with each other. There is some circumstantial evidence that can be used, and some compelling tales can be made. But very little is supported by hard materials and fact.

10. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

Since the healthcare community has
    Evidence-based practice drilled into our heads, I've come to accept that there is little to no chance that there is a legitimate link between the original Templars and any order existing today.

And there are several today. ;)

Freemason Connect Mobile

11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

A fair number of brothers would like a proven direct descent from the original Templars. There are some Scottish Rite degrees inspired by them. I won't say there is no connection but the evidence isn't there. Most likely it is descent by imitation.

12. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

I have picked up a few of the books on the topic (mostly soft covers from the used book store), but I mainly use them as reading material when I'm in the smallest room in the house. ;)

13. cog41

cog41 Premium Member

Agreed.
    I don't believe it to be so.

14. Bro. John

Bro. John Registered User

There may have been Templars who were masons but I think that's about it

Freemason Connect Mobile

15. THurse

THurse Premium Member

Whether this is to be or not, it's great to see that today the Templars, are well respected.

16. widows son

widows son Premium Member

If anything, as masons we continue their philosophy that they practiced. Especially in the priory/commandery

17. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

This idea has always kind of puzzled me. Aside from espousing the Christian religion, what "philosophy" do you think we share with the historic Templars?

18. widows son

Well I think they viewed Christianity different from the rest of Europe, but I think their main philosophical idea was the brotherhood of man under the fatherhood of God. Chivalry was and is still very important. I also believe that they were up to date on the science of their day. The Middle East at that period was a hot bed of innovation, especially in the Muslim conquered regions. I think they wanted to tie all these aspects together. That coupled with following the strict morals that was preached by Christ, I believe, to them, this philosophy probably would have pushed European advancement much faster. Who knows, we could have had the renaissance much earlier.

19. tomasball

tomasball Premium Member

Sources, please. They were a religious order living basically under the same rules as Cistercian monks. What indicates that they viewed Christianity differently from the rest of Europe?

20. widows son

The individual knight my have lived the life of a monk, but the Order itself was extremely wealthy. But I think they practiced what Christ specifically preached and put it to use, and put less importance on the hierarchy of the church. By living the principles that Christ taught, one could get to heaven, which to me is what "the only way to the father, is through me" quote means. Christ to me, to sum it up would be the epitome of the purest of mind body and soul. When one does this, they purify the temple, and allow the spirit of God to dwell. I think this is what the Templars advocated, and would make sense as to why we as masons perpetuate their legacy.

Share My Freemasonry