My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens to the rejected candidate?

Roach

I ask this question here because I plan to petition a PH lodge. If one is rejected or blackballed; what happens to him? Is he given reason for the rejection or just turned away?

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
If a petition is rejected the fine in most cases will also be returned. The petitioner can reapply after 6 months to the same lodge. It should be noted that a rejected petitioner cannot be accepted in another lodge in the jurisdiction after being rejected. If the petitioner desires to petition another lodge he may do so after waiting 6 months. This applies to the South Carolina jurisdiction, but the terminology is similar through all jurisdictions. Rather or not it is disclosed about why the petition was rejected is at the discretion of the WM and his craft in most case it is not disclosed.

Roach

Thank you sir, but my thought is this. If the petition is rejected and the reason is not disclosed then how is the man to improve himself and reapply. To me not knowing the wrong means i can't make it right.

MikeMay

Premium Member
I know one person who was rejected. He was not told why, but later found out he was rejected because, as a child he knocked the teeth out another child who as it turned out was the WM at the time he petitioned.

He was accepted the next year.

LukeD

I wonder if he recognized the WM as the kid he clocked. I prob would have chose a different lodge if there was one.

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
In honesty nobody knows how anyone votes as the ballot is secret. The dreaded blackball could come from any member of the craft during the time of the ballot.

BroBill

Site Benefactor
Site Benefactor
Vote is Secret by Law

I believe it is a Masonic Offense to discuss how you vote or to question a brother as to how they vote.

Ashlar

I know one person who was rejected. He was not told why, but later found out he was rejected because, as a child he knocked the teeth out another child who as it turned out was the WM at the time he petitioned.

He was accepted the next year.

Hmm , one of the MMs in my lodge was an old nemesis of mine all through school . We fought more times than I care to count , I won some , he won some . I was at lodge to have dinner with them the night I was to be balloted on and he walked in and I though "Oh crap!!!" . He and I did not talk and I just knew I was going to be black balled . They came down afterwards and said the ballot was clear . My old enemy and I have now become friends because of Freemasonry , but I did tell him that I figured he would have black balled me (though I no longer had any animosity toward him ) and he said he left all that behind in the past as I had because neither one of us remembered why we harbored such hatred toward each all through our school years .

Last edited:

Roach

I hope I don't offend anyone but to be honest after talking with several masons and reading through this site I just believe I will be received better if I joined a PH lodge. This is not to say that there are no mainstream lodges that would not welcome me but the risk is greater that I would be rejected because of color then for my values. To me it seems that the light may be presented differently but at the end of the day the meaning is the same.

Txmason

@roach

Of course not. I would hope you would be accepted everywhere you whether mainstream or pha. Don't limit yourself to just one lodge. Mainstream is the way to go. I am sure whatever decision you make you will be happy. Masonry has afforded myself the chance to meet many people. A lifelong journey.

owls84

Premium Member
Mainstream is the way to go.

This decision is all about your personal preference and where you feel comfortable. I know several (Caucasian and hispanic) brothers that have now moved their membership to PHA from GLoTX. I personally have made the decision to do this as well and I am currently in the stage of moving my membership from the Grand Lodge of Texas to the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Texas. Even though I am a minority, by race only, in that organization I feel at home with the views and ideas of Masonry that are taught there. This is a personal preference and only a decision that you can make. Many Jurisdictions around the world recognize PHA and attending lodges while on travel will still happen so don't let this deter you. I recommend you visit both and see which you feel comfortable in but don't let someone "convince" you on this decision.

JJones

Maybe I'm off topic but I find myself wondering what would draw a member of the GLOTX to the PHGL?

I'm not asking this to sound negative, I'm know little about PH masonry so I'm genuinely curious as to what they do differently.

Do they take the craft more seriously? Are the degrees/meetings more impressive?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. owls- I hate to see you go but I can't say I blame you. I wish you only the best.