My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Love to you?

mas2500

To me it's someone ( no matter orientation) the you look and starts a fire in your heart (Ink Spots reference)

Future mason from born from the past ones.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Love is being there through cancer. Love is a decision and a pattern of action. Love is a memory that is there unchanged two and more decades later.

I suggest that what you described in limmerance. Sometimes limmerance morphs into love sometimes it does not.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I suggest that what you described in limmerance.
Thanks for your post. I love learning new words!

Words, and the concepts they represent, are the tools the mind uses to organize our mental universe. They are the building blocks of understanding. When I looked up limerence it was described as "an involuntary state of mind resulting from romantic attraction". Perhaps that is the reason we value it so highly, because it is not an experience that we can create in isolation.

Then we have the added concept that if we live our lives in certain ways, and dedicate ourselves to certain ideals, we can increase the frequency and intensity of what is essentially an involuntary experience. This is sort like saying "I cannot create the sensation of a pleasant fragrance, but I can bend over and put my nose to flowers more often".

So my new definition is "Love is that pleasant, involuntary state of mind which can occur as a result of a relationship with an object outside myself". Hmmm, that definition doesn't seem perfect. But, like me, it is still a work in progress.

dfreybur

Premium Member
When I looked up limerence it was described as "an involuntary state of mind resulting from romantic attraction".

It's the emotional side of a coin that tends to have lust as its physical side. It often passes but can morph into love.

When I think about love I gradually realize it comes in all sizes large and small. I remember some girls from when I was young and the lust I felt for them but I don't remember their names. I remember some people from when I was young and though the feelings weren't strong they have never faded at all. Telling the difference can take 20+ years but it's possible to cultivate good educated guesses.

BroBook

Premium Member
"GOD is love"and what I mean short version is this; point 1. we as masons understand that in some shape or form there must be something/ someone that can be pointed at and said THAT is the supreme being , not that we claim ours is HE .Point 2. This BEING decided, for whatever reason to share this thing we call life, that's love. Closing point to be offered everlasting "LIFE" with all the kinks worked out "THAT'S LOVE" to "me"

Live
It
For
Eternity

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

BroBook

Premium Member
My dictionary is malfunctioning where did y'all get those words from!!!

Bro Book
M.W.U.G.L. Of Fl: P.H.A.
Excelsior # 43
At pensacola

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
My dictionary is malfunctioning where did y'all get those words from!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limerence

Limerence is an involuntary state of mind which results from a romantic attraction to another person combined with an overwhelming, obsessive need to have one's feelings reciprocated. The psychologist Dorothy Tennov coined the term "limerence" in her 1979 book Love and Limerence: The Experience of Being in Love to describe the concept that had grown out of her work in the mid-1960s, when she interviewed over 500 people on the topic of love.

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Well, at least it isn't "The state of being the subject of a Limerick", although it seems that either could be as ridiculous.