My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was I supposed to say?

samuelrobyn

Today I talked to a MM about learning the craft, becoming a freemason. One of the questions he ask me was "why do you want to be a mason?" My answer was a real as the air I'm breathing. " the fellowship and to find my purpose". He said he's heard a lot of different answers but that is by far the craziest answer he heard. After we finished talking about other things he said he was really puzzled by what I said . Did I say something bad?

Rick Carver

Premium Member
It is a crazy answer. The only acceptable answer is for the pancake breakfasts.

and I love green beans.

I think it was an excellent answer. The intent of such a question is to eliminate those who seek the Secrets for the wrong reason, such as the belief it will help them gain a higher social status or be given some special edge in business dealings. IMHO, yours was the right answer, and it required no further investigation on that subject.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Your answer was very similar to the way I answered this question. Being associated with men of good character and improving myself. Since I was voted in it seems that this answer was good enough. Don't know why the fellow you describe was so puzzled by your answer.

blacksmith83

Hearing about pancakes make me forget my reasons for wanting to be a mason, cant wait for the initiation....and then bring on the breakfast food! lol

jvarnell

Premium Member
You guys are killing me with the food talk, I am the senior steward this year and am already tired of fixing food at the drop of a hat......no soup for you......or pancakes

MaineMason

You guys are killing me with the food talk, I am the senior steward this year and am already tired of fixing food at the drop of a hat......no soup for you......or pancakes
I'm the Sr. Steward of my lodge too, but my Jr. Steward is a trained cook. He cooks, I set up the lodge. It works out really well. By the way, we all help out with cooking from time to time and our lodge is known for our food and our bean suppers (it's New England, after all!). I am known, though, after a meeting to make it clear that it would be a great help for officers to assist in putting away the regalia and they always oblige.

I hope you know your lectures. We do! ;)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Actually, I wish I could have come up with such a response that quickly. I might inquire more about what you meant by those terms and what you were expecting, but I have absolutely no problem with it.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
I joined for the love of being called a drunk oh and to cut the grass of course