My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your first position?

What was your first post as an officer in your lodge?

• Worshipful Master

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Senior Warden

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Junior Warden

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Senior Deacon

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Junior Deacon

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • Steward(s)

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Tiler

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Master of Ceremonies

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Secretary

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Treasurer

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

owls84

Premium Member
Good one Bill. I was a Steward, Secretary Pro-Tem, and this year I am a Marshall.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I served almost an entire year as Marshall pro tem / Junior Deacon pro tem & was appointed to Junior Deacon the following year. I am currently the Senior Deacon.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Back when men were men & the Lesser Lights really were candles? Or had fire been discovered yet? :wink: :lol:

Prairie Hill Lodge #741 still uses candles for their Lesser Lights. Bunch of the guys from my Lodge went to visit them last months just to see the real candles.

Bookend

I became an "acting, unpaid" Steward on the night I was Raised. It was a very "turbulent" day! I had been Initiated in The Lodge of Fraternity No.214, at that time, in Salisbury, South Australia, in July 1978. It was the Lodge to which my father and younger brother belonged. I was living in Sydney, New South Wales and had flown over for that evening. The Secretary told me that, in order to join a Lodge in Sydney, I would have to resign from the Lodge in which I was Initiated. This information was incorrect, but how was I to know? On returning to Sydney, I wrote my letter of resignation, to take effect in October 1978. In September 1978, I was Passed, by dispensation, in The Shaw-Stewart Lodge No.133 in Leichhardt, New South Wales. My next-door neighbour just happened to be the Director of Ceremonies (= Marshall) of that Lodge. I was to be Raised in that Lodge in November. On the afternoon of that day, I saw the Secretary of the Lodge drove up to the Director's house and he told me that things had become "complicated". I was no longer a financial member of a Lodge and, therefore, could not be Raised. As I could not be Raised, I could not join a Lodge in New South Wales. By telephone, with the Grand Secretary of NSW on one line to us and on the other to the Grand Secretary of SA, it was resolved that I would be elected as a member in NSW and, if successful, be Raised - all paperwork to follow! After being Raised I was appointed to act as a Steward. Eight months later, I was Invested as Junior Warden and, three years and one day after my Initiation, I became Worshipful Master of The Shaw-Stewart Lodge No.133. My Masonic life is still as complicated and confused as it was back in 1978!

Christopher

Wow, that's a crazy story, Bookend. Glad it work out for you!

I'm curious to know whose first position in lodge was Senior Warden and how that came about. I've seen a few guys on this forum saying that their first officer position was Junior Warden, and I thought that was crazy. I guess I just didn't think that normally happened.

TexasAggieOfc1273

I'm curious to know whose first position in lodge was Senior Warden and how that came about. I've seen a few guys on this forum saying that their first officer position was Junior Warden, and I thought that was crazy. I guess I just didn't think that normally happened.
I go to a small Lodge, at least in terms of active members. As far as the younger fellows getting involved, there are several that have been raised longer than me, but they can't dedicate the time to being SW/JW... they sit in the lower chairs though and wait for the year when they have time.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member

In a lot of smaller Lodges, the line begins in the South. The same Brethren serve as SD & JD for years & years. Not saying it's right, just that it happens.

Christopher

In a lot of smaller Lodges, the line begins in the South. The same Brethren serve as SD & JD for years & years. Not saying it's right, just that it happens.

Okay. I think it's a good thing that lodges feel comfortable being flexible with the officer line. On the other hand, if I go into the East, I will be very grateful for as many years of preparation as I will get.