My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you change?

JJones

I was reading through the thread 'Fed up with your grand lodge? and there was a comment by @dfreybur about the process we have here in Texas to get changes made at the Grand Lodge level.

This got me wondering what changes everyone would make to their respective Grand Lodge laws if they had an ideal situation to do so.

For myself, here in Texas, I'd like to go back to the 1 black ball rule and decrease the number of masons required to charter a new lodge.

I'm curious what everyone else feels strongly about. :)

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I wish I could change the focus. To many they only see the fraternity as just the ritual. The ritual is not what the fraternity is. It is how the fraternity communicates what the fraternity is.

CLewey44

That'd be good to include a certain amount of time obligated for Masonic education. Maybe the WM could designate or ask if a person would be willing to submit a power point or paper to be read and talked about. I don't know if that'd be at the GL to make those decisions but it wouldn't hurt. You're right Goomba, a lot of people are simply concerned with perfecting the ritual, which is very important, but what good is it if nobody knows what the hell it's talking about? There's all kinds of esoteric information starting in the EA, the three minerals etc, for starters. But we tend to gloss over those things and it gets mentioned once and then likely never again until the next EA degree.

BullDozer Harrell

My proposals for change submitted to my Grand Lodge would probably include seeking a more relaxed dress code if it's not a degree night. Sometimes it's a nuisance when i leave lodge early and have to head in towards my job dressed like a funeral director in black & white. Some people are nosy as heck when I get there.

dfreybur

Premium Member
The only ones that generate enough motivation for me are PHA recognition issues. Complete the set, drop any paperwork. I've seen other issues that I'm not motivated enough to chase after.

California - Drop long form opening and closing. The short form is already longer than either of my other jurisdictions. Formalize rules to have one ritual prompter announced before a meeting starts (might already be in place).

Illinois - Correct the direction the SD walks during the purge at the opening of the lodge. The direction has important symbolic content and it needs to be clockwise. Or have the wardens do it from their pedestals the way it happens in Texas. Drop the ban on alcohol in the building so halls can be rented to tenants who bring their own license with them allowing halls to compete with banquet halls for rental income, where consistent with local law.

Texas - Correct the way the candidate enters in the second section of the third. It fails my "take good care of the candidate" rule. Do it the way it happens in other jurisdictions to not confuse and distract the candidate from the work that is about to begin. Similar change about alcohol, where consistent with local law.

Everywhere - Reform investment rules to deal with trust accounts using regular trust accounting practices. Three to four percent withdrawal per year, investment trustees named at the annual election meeting or installation. This also implies reforming the price of a life/endowed membership to 23 or 24 times current dues. Allow purchase of a life membership for a deceased member as a form of endowment fundraising.

JJones

Texas - Correct the way the candidate enters in the second section of the third. It fails my "take good care of the candidate" rule. Do it the way it happens in other jurisdictions to not confuse and distract the candidate from the work that is about to begin. Similar change about alcohol, where consistent with local law.

Well now you have gotten me curious how other jurisdictions introduce this section. I didn't realize it'd be difference elsewhere.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
how many MMs are required to charter a new lodge in TX?
Art. 181. (221). In County Without a Lodge.
A petition for a dispensation for a new Lodge to be located in a County in which there is no Lodge must be signed by not less than seven (7) known
Master Masons, who reside in said County.
Art. 182. (222). In County Having Lodge.
A petition for dispensation for a new Lodge to be located in a county within which one or more Lodges have been organized and still exist, shall only be granted upon the petition of not less than twenty Master Masons, if said Lodge is to be located in a town or city of less than ten thousand inhabitants, or in the rural districts. In cities of ten thousand inhabitants or more the petition for dispensation must be signed by not less than fifty Master Masons. (Italics mine)

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Art. 181. (221). In County Without a Lodge.
A petition for a dispensation for a new Lodge to be located in a County in which there is no Lodge must be signed by not less than seven (7) known
Master Masons, who reside in said County.
Art. 182. (222). In County Having Lodge.
A petition for dispensation for a new Lodge to be located in a county within which one or more Lodges have been organized and still exist, shall only be granted upon the petition of not less than twenty Master Masons, if said Lodge is to be located in a town or city of less than ten thousand inhabitants, or in the rural districts. In cities of ten thousand inhabitants or more the petition for dispensation must be signed by not less than fifty Master Masons. (Italics mine)
is the wording in the italics as it is in the GL law?

AaronSawyer

My lodge was very rural and, though I loved it, was full of older less active MM's. So what I usually wish for is a more excited membership.

Last edited:

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
Speed the shifting in focus from recruitment to retention and promote the idea a small tight lodge is better than a large one full of disconnected members.

I finally got this point across to my lodge tonight. I pulled membership numbers demits, SNPD, and petitions. We have on average about one person every three months coming in. However, we are losing about 1 per month to demits and SNPD. There isn't a recruitment problem at all. Men are coming. The problem is when they get here the are not finding anything to keep them.

A very interesting lodge vision meeting.

Bloke

Premium Member
I finally got this point across to my lodge tonight. I pulled membership numbers demits, SNPD, and petitions. We have on average about one person every three months coming in. However, we are losing about 1 per month to demits and SNPD. There isn't a recruitment problem at all. Men are coming. The problem is when they get here the are not finding anything to keep them.

A very interesting lodge vision meeting.

Very proud our retention rate is high.. I think it's 68% over 24 candidates over an 8 years....(i worked it out recently but am relying on memory). Goal is 100%. When you reach for the stars, you may not get one, but you probably won't come up with a handful of mud....

dfreybur

Premium Member
Well now you have gotten me curious how other jurisdictions introduce this section. I didn't realize it'd be difference elsewhere.

In many jurisdictions the jewel is placed on the candidate and the candidate is informed there is more to the degree. If I were to quote the ritual you would recognize it and think that I had skipped a section. When I quote the Texas ritual I recognize it and think that a section is added. I every much dislike that an officer of the lodge seems to be harangued as a part of the ritual. Not the conduct of a gentleman.

There is a Texas addition that I do like. We were practicing the first degree last night and I learned the coin presentation. That little scene does not happen in my other jurisdictions and it is a very positive addition. I don't know how many jurisdictions do a coin presentation as a part of the ritual but I know it's more than just Texas.

On the number needed to form a new lodge - When I read the rule in the book - Thanks for the quote Bro Bill - I figured 50 is too many. I've read that in most of history it has been traditional for lodges to "hive" when they reach 100 members. In the US this tradition changed vaguely 1900. I find it strange the number is different based on county population. I understand why such a clause would be added but the fact that it was added is strange to me.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The "jewel moment" you mention struck me deeply that night. I certainly will never forget it. As to the EA coin thing I have never been a fan. It has always seemed like an another American addition with no bearing on the Degree.

dfreybur

Premium Member
No idea what this coin presentation is

That's what I thought the first time I attended a Texas first degree. Instead of explaining that's what being correctly prepared meant and that's why it happened, a Brother demonstrates charity in action by handing over a coin. It's a meaningful and moving addition once I thought about it.