What would you change?

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by hanzosbm, Dec 1, 2017.

1. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Bro. Cook, don't beat yourself up...you're not an UGLE Mason. ;)

Bill Lins and David612 like this.
  2. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

I have heard of lodges, that have a "cap" on how many members it can have. Before WW2, when our country was more rural, most lodges had fewer than 100 members. Huge "mega-lodges" were unheard of.

dfreybur likes this.
  3. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Exactly. One of my lodges I showed up and joined their degree team, because they were close to work. Eventually they voted me an honorary membership, a status that does not exist in all jurisdictions. I recently showed up to visit a lodge and they were having a couple of second degrees. They put me in a chair for the degrees. I'll definitely be back.

The question was asked why I should keep affiliation with lodges I have long ago moved away from. In two of them I am Past Master and life/endowed member. I have no intention to ever demit. In one I am a honorary member. I don't even know the process to demit. If some day I relocate to a jurisdiction that requires me to demit to affiliate, I would be an eternal visitor. No way am I demitting for a bureaucratic reason.

4. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

? Lost me. Humor gene not switched on yet this morning.

5. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

It just sounded funny "..as a UGLE (ugly) Mason...." bad attempt by me at humor there.

Bill Lins and hanzosbm like this.
  6. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

Bravo! Visiting other lodges is part of the wages of a Master Mason. When I moved to Columbus OH, in 1991 I wanted to take out a dual membership with a nearby lodge. The GL of Ohio regulations (at that time) prohibited any Ohio lodge members, from belonging to any out of state lodges, simultaneously with an Ohio lodge. Since I would not demit from my KY mother lodge, I had to forego joining the OH lodge.

dfreybur likes this.
  7. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

I still pay dues to my mother lodge which is over 2000 miles away. Of course, that's because they never seem to receive my numerous requests for demit over the years. But when I give up each January and send my dues check, they seem to always receive that. Funny how the postal system works in their neck of the woods.

Bill Lins likes this.
  8. hanzosbm

hanzosbm Premium Member

Ours has a cap of 40.

David612 likes this.
  9. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Oh. UGLEEEE. I told you the humour gene was turned off.

10. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

No worries, it was pretty cheesy haha.

11. David612

David612 Registered User

I got it, hehe :)

Share My Freemasonry