My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When can I wear my ring?

buckeyebro

Brothers,

I have taken the first part of the MM degree, and I take the second part this weekend...I found and purchased the ring I wanted today...My question is, can I wear it currently or do I have to wait until after this weekend. It seems as my current state is in limbo...can someone please educate me on this matter.

Freemason Connect Mobile

dfreybur

Premium Member
You generally need to complete your third degree before wearing any symbol of that degree. It's not common to split degrees. Were there several candidates cycled through that day to fill up the evening?

JJones

I haven't heard of anyone splitting up a degree like that before...

Either way, I've always understood that you aren't to wear any masonic jewelry until you've turned in the work for your Masters.

buckeyebro

I will get the second part at. There will be brothers from all over the state doing the same..It seems like an honor. The only thing nagging me is what exactly is my status having taken the first part, but not the second at this current time? From what I have heard so far it seems prudent to wait before I wear it openly....Im guessing modeling it in the mirror at home would be ok..:)

Freemason Connect Mobile

buckeyebro

A valid point. Thanks for the response...I will wait until I am raised, and ask a brother from my lodge on the particulars.

thanks again

Freemason Connect Mobile

crono782

Premium Member
I personally waited until I turned in my proficiency and had a proper GL dues card in hand. Granted that took all but a week after I was raised. Still...

Freemason Connect Mobile

buckeyebro

Great advice...From what I have heard so far it seems that the best option would be to complete all work, and wait until I get my dues card so I can prove myself to be who I am with more than just jewelry.

Regards

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Freemasonry mobile app

perryel

Brothers,

I have taken the first part of the MM degree, and I take the second part this weekend...I found and purchased the ring I wanted today...My question is, can I wear it currently or do I have to wait until after this weekend. It seems as my current state is in limbo...can someone please educate me on this matter.

Freemason Connect Mobile

buckeyebro...sounds like we'll be at the same place this weekend. Our custom has been to not wear rings,etc. until after one has completed the MM proficiency. PM me...I'll meet you and we can check out the vendors.

buckeyebro

How do you PM on the mobile app...ive searched every crack on this thing.

BigDre357

Great advice...From what I have heard so far it seems that the best option would be to complete all work, and wait until I get my dues card so I can prove myself to be who I am with more than just jewelry.

Regards

Yes and make sure you are ready and we'll versed and OVERSTAND what you have studied because there will be Brothers out there hunting for fresh meat to prey on trying to take your light....I know an entire lodge if brothers that live to find newly raised Brothers to embarrass so make sure you are ready...me personally I always taught my brothers to keep the light at home until they felt comfortable being challenged and we would randomly challenge them just to make sure they were sharp.

P.M. Drennon ...SMIB /G\

buckeyebro

Profound statement and great advice..advice.I certainly will be cautious, and make sure I am proficient enough to hold my own against predatory brothers.......It seems I have alot to learn.

Regards

LBCutta

First of all, I've never heard of splitting the degree. So technically you have not been raised to MM therefore you should not wear anything displaying the square and compass

Last edited:

Lowcarbjc

Our constitution allows it from day 1 but I have decided to wait until I'm raised before wearing anything resembling the 3rd degree. Wait a bit, it won't take forever :)

My Freemasonry HD

David N.

Premium Member
In my jurisdiction, we are told not to display any symbols until we are Master Masons. Never heard of splitting up the 3rd.
Also, I wouldn't describe any of my Brothers as predatory, as we do not "prey" on "fresh meat" in order to embarrass them. Quite the opposite. I actually find that pretty abhorrent.

crono782

Premium Member
Considering most s&c rings are displaying the masters symbol, it's a tad awkward to display what you have not yet attained. I've previously likened it to an army private wearing a major's bars...

My Freemasonry HD

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
After you finish the 3rd Degree. I actually had mine in my pocket and the moment I was done, I put it on.