My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When does tolerance no longer apply?

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been thinking about a couple of things. Why do we sometimes profess to meet upon the level with a Brother, but distance ourselves outside of Lodge because of his age, beliefs, race or political viewpoints? Do we stop being Masons when we leave our respective Lodges and/or log onto a computer?

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Is it that we distance ourselves from those with whom we don't have that much in common or rather that we tend to congregate with others with whom we do have much in common?

Let's face it- I'd much rather hang with you, JTM, Owls, & HT than with some of the geriatric Masons I know!

Last edited:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I've been thinking about a couple of things. Why do we sometimes profess to meet upon the level with a Brother, but distance ourselves outside of Lodge because of his age, beliefs, race or political viewpoints? Do we stop being Masons when we leave our respective Lodges and/or log onto a computer?

i do not meet with most masons on the level outside of lodge. i doubt many do. think about it like this, if the president was a mason, in lodge, he's just like any other brother. outside, he's the president.

in lodge, i'll get along with nazi masons, outside, i'll treat him like i would a nazi. charges would probably soon follow, but yea, in lodge, i'd be on the level.

Is it that we distance ourselves from those with whom we don't have that much in common or rather that we tend to congregate with others with whom we do have much in common?

Let's face it- I'd much rather hang with you, JTM, Owls, & HT than with some of the geriatric Masons I know!

you're not so bad yerself, Bill!

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member

I'd think we'd have to have a lot in common - but that being said, there never seems to be a shortage of conversation at meals preceding lodge or afterward.

There's at least one mason who blogs - one on masonry and another on politics. With the amount of seething hatred and broad generalizations he posts on his political blog for views I hold - I wonder how much he could possibly respect me.

I think that's where applying the lessons of masonry outside the lodge come in handy. If we're only controlling our passions, etc, etc. in the lodge - it makes for a harmonious lodge, but not a harmonious society or even roomful of people.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
I wonder how much he could possibly respect me.
i've dated chics that were total liberals, we had a lot of fun discussing politics. We respected each other just fine.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
i've dated chics that were total liberals, we had a lot of fun discussing politics. We respected each other just fine.

You can have a lot of fun with disagreements. Chances are you didn't insult each other that much. I used to have a ball going over a friends house whose dad was an Archie Bunker copy and making him turn red.

I've had a lot of fun over the years with my varied friends in political, religious and other discussions. I remember when Clinton won the election, nobody in my office spoke to me for a few days. Then is was back to arguing over lunch about politics, etc.

There is a common level of rhetoric, though, in a lot of public discussion which starts out beyond any level of respect.

dhouseholder

You can have a lot of fun with disagreements. Chances are you didn't insult each other that much. I used to have a ball going over a friends house whose dad was an Archie Bunker copy and making him turn red.

I've had a lot of fun over the years with my varied friends in political, religious and other discussions. I remember when Clinton won the election, nobody in my office spoke to me for a few days. Then is was back to arguing over lunch about politics, etc.

There is a common level of rhetoric, though, in a lot of public discussion which starts out beyond any level of respect.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein

ctp2nd

Premium Member
IMO: I will treat a Brother Mason as I have voluntarily obligated myself to treat a Brother Mason, inside and outside of lodge. That said, I never obligated myself in Masonry to befriend every Brother that passes through the West Gate. I may go upon his errand at midnight, but I will not necessarily have him over for beer and dinner with my family.

Traveling Man

Premium Member
Thomas Paine said:
Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but it is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it.

Fools' names and Fools' faces are oft' found on public spaces...

Last edited:

HKTidwell

Premium Member
You know I'm probably one of the most "Conservative" people about but when I'm around my brothers unless they are like minded I try to temper my responses. I love discussions about politics and principles but far to often in a online format you have trouble comprehending a persons twinkle of a eye, smirk, small smile, and/or body language that is easy to discern in person.

I love visiting with brothers and people of a different opinion because this causes me to grow and to understand both myself and others better. Who really grows when they are surrounded by 100% like minded people. Discussions and peaceful arguments are good when brotherly love and understanding is the basis.

drapetomaniac

Premium Member
Premium Member
I love visiting with brothers and people of a different opinion because this causes me to grow and to understand both myself and others better. Who really grows when they are surrounded by 100% like minded people. Discussions and peaceful arguments are good when brotherly love and understanding is the basis.

I agree. Part of why I joined masonry is its evidence that the men in it have at least some introspection and additional thought about life. Too many are willing to live their lives and ideas on autopilot

TexMass

On facebook (publice places) I've had some strong political disagreements with people and Brothers. I have never attacked a Brother online for his disagreements or beliefs but I have been attacked. Usually I drop them from my friends list if they do not wish to discuss certain topics without "bashing" me. I have since toned down the discussion because it seems to bring the worst out in people and Brothers.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" -Voltaire

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
“Social” media is anything but. I have seen my Brothers turn vile and hateful to anyone who disagrees with their leanings, so much that I am dropping memberships at the end of the year. I can not sit in lodge and feel “brotherly love.”

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Because there are other perfectly acceptable behaviors other than tolerance that we should and must practice when faced with things, situations and people who require different choices!

https://buildinghiram.blogspot.com/2010/09/tolerance-revisited.html