My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When visiting a lodge for first time.........

Plustax

I understand that when a person visits a lodge here in Texas, all that is required is ID (Tx Drivers License) and your membership card? If so, what ever happened to "checking" a candidate before being permitted in to the lodge? Now a day anyone can make a dues card. Someone mentioned that the Grand Lodge made this decision quite some time ago and I'm wondering if it's true and curious as to why this was passed (if so). Thanks.

Plustax

Understand, but do you know if it's true that the Grand Lodge passed something that it is no longer necessary to perform a small exam on a person requesting entrance? Just seems that it contradicts about ensuring that we're supposed to make sure that a candidate is "thoroughly" investigated before becoming a mason, yet anyone with a card can enter a lodge. Again, this is only if in fact it is true that exams are no longer needed.

Bro. Bennett

Premium Member
The way I understood this rule is as follows; The ID and Dues card is to ensure one is up to date on their dues, and semi in good standing with their home lodge, the exam is still to make sure that in the event someone does in fact duplicate or defraud themselves by making a dues card, they will not be allowed entry into the lodge.

Plustax

Excellent. That makes more sense to me. The "exam" is just to further recognize the brother for whom he says he is. Sure hope that's the way it's been sent out.

relapse98

Art. 380. (416). Good Standing. Upon notification to the Worshipful Master, and at his discretion, a member of a lodge under the jurisdiction of this Grand Lodge may visit any Texas Masonic Lodge working under this jurisdiction without the avouchment and or examination process providing that he is in good standing and presents a receipt from his Lodge showing that his dues are current at the time of said visitation along with a photo identification; except in cases provided for in Art. 382. Sojourning Masons from other jurisdictions must possess a current dues card and shall be vouched for or examined in accordance with Art. 381. (Revised 1999)

cemab4y

Premium Member
I last attended a TX lodge in 1991. I visited Fraternity lodge #1111, in El Paso. I presented my (KY) dues card, and I was given a brief examination. I have visited lodges in 13 states, WashDC, and five foreign countries. The depth and intensity of the investigation on a visiting Freemason, varies greatly. As a rule, when you visit a lodge, where no one can vouch for you , you should be prepared to do the following:

Arrive 30 minutes prior to the meeting time, in order to give the lodge officers time to do the exam.
Bring a current dues card, and one other form of identification.
Be prepared to show the signs, and the grips, and state the words.
Be prepared to take the "tyler's oath", where you will have to swear that you a Master Mason in good standing.

gnarledrose

This is JUST the topic I came to this forum for! I'm going to be visiting St. John's Lodge #51 in late August, and I was just stopping by to ask about traveling protocol. Your advice is timely, my brothers! :laugh:

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
In New Mexico I had to give the Tylers Oath. They had a card for me to read but I went ahead and memorized it earlier that day. Other than that, I haven't been examined by any other Lodge. Kinda sad actually.

Tony Siciliano

Premium Member
In NC, one must have a current dues card, be from a recognized GL (the Secretary has a book), and be examined by an ad-hoc examination committee. Nothing too challenging, just what a MM would know. Some places do the Tyler's Oath.

Conversely, the visitor has the right to ask to see the Charter to ensure the Lodge is regular.

cacarter

Premium Member
I just had my temporary card (the 2011 dues cards had not arrived yet) when I visited my hometown lodge in Arizona. I showed it to them, and asked "Do you need to investigate me any?" I was disappointed when they said "No, usually the dues card is enough for us." I wanted to "wow" them with my mastery of the work. Oh well.

tom268

If you want to visit a lodge outside the US, you should get in contact with the lodge/GL over there via your own Grand Secretary. For example, in Germany (similar in the rest of Europe) we don't use due cards, and the test is difficult, as signs, words and even the general layout of the lodge is different.

I experienced that when I visited a lodge in Mass. many years ago. The test took me over half an hour, just to explain the differences.

Plustax

I recently learned that if the SW has not sat in lodge with a mason attending that night, he HAS to plead NOT SATISFIED and go thru process of vouching of all members. I know what the GLoT book states, but it's still not clear that this falls on the SW. Example.. if SW has never sat in lodge with GM(visiting), he must NOT BE SATISFIED, yet he knows many sitting in the lodge room to have already sat with him previously. Whether it's GM or any of his representatives for that matter. If a lodge happens to be popular that people like to come and visit then that's going to be NOT SATISFIED at every Stated meeting. Just my thoughts and wondering.....

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
NM goes through the process every time lodge opens, whereas in CA the SW does a scan before lodge opens and makes his determination.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I recently learned that if the SW has not sat in lodge with a mason attending that night, he HAS to plead NOT SATISFIED and go thru process of vouching of all members. I know what the GLoT book states, but it's still not clear that this falls on the SW. Example.. if SW has never sat in lodge with GM(visiting), he must NOT BE SATISFIED, yet he knows many sitting in the lodge room to have already sat with him previously. Whether it's GM or any of his representatives for that matter. If a lodge happens to be popular that people like to come and visit then that's going to be NOT SATISFIED at every Stated meeting. Just my thoughts and wondering.....
Absolutely, and something we went over @ the DDGM orientation in Houston this morning. If the SW has not sat in a tiled blue Lodge OR Grand Lodge with the Grand Master, he CANNOT be satisfied and the Lodge must go through the avouchment procedure. In our larger Lodges, it does indeed happen at every stated and some called meetings. Now, for extra credit:
1. Who CANNOT be examined? (Hint- 2 persons + 1 group of people).
2. In the instance above, who is responsible for vouching in the event that no one present can vouch for any of the Brethren who, by law, cannot be examined?

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The way I understood this rule is as follows; The ID and Dues card is to ensure one is up to date on their dues, and semi in good standing with their home lodge, the exam is still to make sure that in the event someone does in fact duplicate or defraud themselves by making a dues card, they will not be allowed entry into the lodge.
Exactly the way that it is here.
Some places do the Tyler's Oath.
You have to recite it here also along with something "extra".

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
for extra credit:
1. Who CANNOT be examined? (Hint- 2 persons + 1 group of people).
2. In the instance above, who is responsible for vouching in the event that no one present can vouch for any of the Brethren who, by law, cannot be examined?
OK, Texas Masons- if y'all cannot answer these questions, get yourselves to a Briscoe Workshop & learn some things! They're going on right now- this coming Saturday in my District.